Changing Oil Pan Gasket & have a question

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Glava, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    I have the service manual for my 79 Z/28 4 speed and it has the steps for changing the oil pan gasket to the newer one piece style. But, I figure there may be forum recommendations for the easiest/ best way to change.
    According to the service manual, it looks like I have to disconnect the battery, take off fan shroud, remove air cleaner, take off the distributor cap, remove the exhaust crossover, tranny inspection cover, oil filter and starter. Then remove the motor mount bolts and lift the engine up a little to get the pan out.
    Is this pretty much what has to be done?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Pretty much it. And there's a certain position you want the crankshaft in to get most clearance from counterweights and rods. Don't know what that position is though.

Glava likes this.
  3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Tom3 is correct on the crank position. Do s search here and you should find it. It escapes me.

Glava likes this.
  4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Do yourself a favor and pull the distributor out. You can break it if you leave it in there. Don’t ask me how I know. Lol

Glava likes this.
  5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    If you pull the distributor, mark it's exact position before hand. That way you don't have to re-adjust the timing.

Glava likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Get the crank in the right position (5 o’clock on timing mark) then pull the distributor.

7. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I'm not following you, Terry. Are you just saying to put the timing mark almost pointed at the ground? 6 o'clock would be exactly pointed at the ground if I'm following you. Also, why pull the dizzy? Is it a firewall clearance issue when you raise the motor for cross member clearance? I'm thinking about putting in a one piece oil pan gasket since my old one is leaking a bit. Never worked with a one piece but, I hear there are different thicknesses to beware of. Give me your thoughts oh, knowledged one! :)

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The best gasket.... I don't know. I helped my son with one several years ago but the engine was out of the car and he bought the gasket.

I haven't check the crank counterweight position with the timing mark myself.... 5 o’clock is folk lore I found on the internet.
    It's very helpful to have the crank in the correct position so you can move the pan in the proper direction to remove it.

Yes... Firewall clearance.
    You need to take the distributor cap off, at least.

If you do decide to pull the distributor completely, put the crank in the proper position first.
    (Marking the distributor position then finding you have to rotate the crank to remove the pan will negate knowledge of where the distributor was located when you started the process.)

Good Luck!

9. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Thanks, Twisted. Good to speak with you again!

10. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Another note on removing the distributor. If you have a timing light you can always reset the timing afterwords. If not, you want to mark the exact location of the distributor housing AND make note of what spark plug the rotor is pointed at. It's possible to have the rotor pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction or be off 1 tooth on the gear when re-installing it.

As others have mentioned, if you rotate the engine afterwards then it throws your marks out the window. Unless you you put position of crankshaft/harmonic balancer timing mark on Top Dead center when you remove the distributor, then you have a reference mark to go back to when re-installing the distributor.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018