Changing motor mounts

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 79silverz28, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 79silverz28

79silverz28 Veteran Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Texas
    Hmmm.... I forgot that little tidbit.

...It's true that some swivels flop around too much. The easy answer is to put some masking tape around the swivel part loosely. This constricts the swivel from moving around too much, but is loose enough that if you need to push it a little bit, it will give. I specifically use paint masking tape, because when I am done it pulls off the swivel without being a pain in the a$$, and doesn't leave any sticky residue on the swivel.

I should have added that as a footnote to my original posting. I hope that helps.

I do like the hose trick, too, I've done that with other things before.

I hope it was helpful to put this here.

2. busterswt

busterswt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 4, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I just did this a week ago with one hand holding a distributor wrench fed up through the bottom and the other hand twisting the socket wrench up top. Really wasn't all that bad. Combined it probably took an hour. I never had to worry about the nuts falling through the end of the wrench because of the lip around them. It was easy to put the nut up to the hole and feed the bolt through it. Most of my time was spent trying to 1) wait in line to buy the dist. wrench and 2) find a good spot to lie on the ground and get this done. The engine was out of the car also.

3. grasmo

grasmo Veteran Member

Dec 21, 2005
    tallahassee, fl
    i cut a small access hole in the front of the crossmember big enough for the wrench and put a piece of duct tape on the back of the wrench to hold the nut. grasmo.

4. 10secZ28

10secZ28 Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Kingsville,Ontario,Canada
    If You Have One>>>

IF IF IF you have any type of a welder reach in and tack the nuts with the welder,I just did mine with the motor in,and if you get good enough tacks on the nuts,it should be a big ol' piece of cake,Steve

P.S. don't forget to undo your battery cables cause you will fry your coil,trust me been there done that,it sucks!!

5. 509 Camaro

509 Camaro New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Antioch
    That was one part I didnt look forward to when putting my motor in mine.

77 Camaro
    509CI
    13.5-1
    Crane 714 lift roller
    th-400 with brake and hipster 8" stall
    Strange driveshaft
    12 Bolt with strange axles and spool

6. snyguy

snyguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 15, 2003
    Logan, IA
    Use a 9/16's obstruction wrench, cake!

7. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    I just did this the other day, wasn't as bad as I thought. I used a 12" extension with a universal and a socket. I was able to get a long flat wrench on one of them.

Putting the new ones on took about 10 min a side. The two upper holes were easy access with the extension, the one lower hole I thread a long piece of very fine wire through. I wrapped that around the bolt and pulled it up through the hole. So the two top bolts on each side are facing down, and the one on the bottom on each side are facing up.

I should add that the motor was out of the car at the time. An impact gun was also a lot of help.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  8. badslife2

badslife2 Veteran Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Saginaw,MI
    does it matter which way the nuts are facing??
    either up or down?

9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
  10. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

May 26, 2004
    Livermore
    Does anyone have a spare pair of mounts for a SB? Going to need them for my LS1 conversion.