changing from non tilt to tilt column ???

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by myfakez28, Sep 28, 2015.

1. myfakez28

myfakez28 Member

Aug 21, 2011
    midwest
    what do I need to change to get this done I know the switch is different will my wiring from the original column work

2. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your tilt column has the wire harness in it, use that. There's no need to try and reuse the harness from your non-tilt column. If your tilt column has an ignition switch (bolted to lower end of column with rod connected to it) still on it, you should be good to go. The harmonica harness-end should plug right in if I remember correctly. I made the same swap on mine a few years ago. Of course you will want to swap your ignition lock cylinder (where your key goes) to use the same key. You need to make sure where you've separated the tilt column shaft is the same as what you already have. Depending on what year column you may have, there's a "D" shaped end and a somewhat rectangular end. If you have a tilt column from a car the same year as yours, you're ok.

3. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    You will also need a different intermediate shaft (the shaft that connects the column to the steering box). The intermediate shaft on a tilt column is rotated 90 degrees. If you use a non-tilt shaft, the steering wheel will be rotated 90 degrees off center. You cannot correct it by changing position of steering wheel because the horn contact only has a short range of adjustment and the turn signal cams won't cancel correctly.

4. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    The ignition switch connector is the same for both tilt and non tilt columns, just need to be turned 180° to plug in.