Changed the oil today

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by FlaJunkie, Nov 17, 2017.

1. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    cleaning floor with brake fluid or other flameable stuff can be a bad if you got a gas powered water heater,,,can get a surprise when the burner kicks on.

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I actually used a drip pan but it still got messy. And I completely forgot about the grease! I usually take the car to Firestone to get a grease job. Thanks for reminding me.

3. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Holy crap! I did not think about that! This is the first house I have owned with a gas heater and I was about 10 feet from it when I was cleaning the oil up...with brake cleaner! Yikes!

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I picked up a few 5.3gal Kodak containers with a large cap/opening from someones curb for
    recycle day and use them to fill my used oil from my black drain container that prop holds 15 or 30 qts.
    When there full I then drop them off at the local recycle store. I place cardboard under the black drain
    container to catch any spatters when it's draining from the oil pan and have no mess ever on the floor to clean up.

[​IMG]Oil chg by C O P O, on Flickr

RS1979 likes this.
  5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    Go find a discarded refrigerator box and cut it up so you have 3 or 4 LARGE pieces. Slide this under the car, catches everything. 1 or 2 paper towels clean it up and you're done. I use gallon milk jugs to recycle. Piece of cake. Changed my truck on Tuesday. Took all of 20 minutes including cleanup.

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't you guys have oil recycling in your area.
    I throw all my fluids in an old 55 gallon fuel drum, and when it gets full they come drain it and pay me a few bucks.

Zstar likes this.
  7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Oriely's takes used oil. I thought about making an oil burner but it doesn't get that cold here for long.

8. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I have a scrap PC of plasticore, it plastic but like cardboard, wipes up nice, cuts with a knife, fits Between tires, when we were getting new rug, I grabbed a PC of padding, it rolls up, nice to lay on, 5 gal metal can for waste, the mutant guy at the recycle center doesn't like it , too bad.
    I put the used filter on a PC of 2x4, put the big Phillips screwdriver in it that you never use, punch a hole in the center with a dead blow hammer, then put the filter in the funnel last to drain, or these things seep for weeks. And if you have a cabinet that has your oil and everything in one place it makes a crappy job not as bad. I just added a cabinet to my garage that's my oil changing station.

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I change oil, in our shop, on all our vehicles. I save gallon jugs fro windshield wash, oil, laundry detergent, etc. to pour, through a funnel, used oil in. As for clean up, I use oil dry.

Zstar likes this.
  10. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I took a few pics because I have a major oil leak under the car. I know what it is and why it happened. I will have to remove the pan from the motor this time and have it repaired properly. Dunno when that time will come.