Changed the oil today

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by FlaJunkie, Nov 17, 2017.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I hadn't done it at home in a long time. Usually, I take it to the base hobby shop and use their lift. Today, I did it in my garage.

It was quite the production. First, I needed some jack stands. Ordered them for pickup at Walmart. Ordered 5 quarts of Havoline non-syn as well. Went to O'reilleys and bought a K&N filter.

Came home, jacked it up a bit, placed the stands, got down on the floor, crawled under the car, drained the oil, removed the filter, cleaned and replaced it. Replaced the oil pan plug.

Dropped the car, added the oil, started it up.

Took it for a 5-mile local drive.

When I got back, I realized the really hard part was yet to come...cleaning up the used oil!

Now, getting on the floor at my age is really becoming difficult to do and getting back up is a frickin' challenge! And as difficult as it was, it was still fun to do the job.

Pouring the used oil back into the quart containers and cleaning the mess up took a lot of time. It was definitely the hardest part of the day.

George S. Patton partial quote: "...and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."

Enjoy the simple things while you are able, fellows!

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Job well done, and somewhat typical, I keep a can of Chemtool and/or Brake cleaner handy to help clean up the concrete after smearing it around with the paper towels while cleaning it up. The Chemtool helps remove it before it stains. -

Next time try using the 5 quart jug, It's a whole lot easier to fill as a return bin than the 1 quart containers.

Enjoy !

--

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Corry Station had a nice auto shop for us. Even when we had a house off base, I still went there for oil changes.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Ahh the joys of changing your own oil. I still change my own and the clean up is the worst!!! I have some 2 1/2 gal jugs for waste oil. Makes it easy to transport for disposal.

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Ahhh the joys of changing your own oil. I still do mine and the clean up is the worst!!! I have some 2 1/2 gal jugs for waste oil. Makes it easier to transport for recycling

6. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Go to a restaurant that does deep frying.
    The oil comes in 3 gallon containers with a large opening.
    They usually put them out with the recycling or can ask.
    Makes disposal easier

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Agree. Get yourself some of those large 3 gallon containers with the large hole opening. You can pour the oil in there in a few seconds and if you use a large funnel, no spill either. Also, get a pair of ramps. Jackstands are unnecessary work. Just drive the car up on the ramps, change the oil, and drive it back down. Changing the oil in my garage is easier and faster than taking the car somewhere else to get it done. I use the highest grade of synthetic oil rated at 1 year/25,000 miles so oil changes happen only once a year on all my vehicles and no wrench monkey gets to touch my cars.

Zstar likes this.
  8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have a large oil catch pan and do the 5qt jug deal, local Advance Auto takes oil for recycle. The Camaro gets changed once a year since it only see around 500 miles, Wix filters is all I use. I can use ramps on my pickup, but the Camaro is too low so it's the low pro jack and stands. I hear ya on the getting old crap, getting down on the floor is no problem, just getting back up can be a story.

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    All interesting comments!

I couldn't find the five-quart size bottle of the Havoline oil I wanted to use. In fact, I couldn't even find the oil I really wanted to use! Brad-Penn non-syn brands another company name and couldn't find it locally. Lucas Old car racing non-syn isn't anywhere around here to take off the shelf. And even the Havoline is different...didn't smell like fish anymore!

I did some research on oil filters and I remember NAPA Gold or K&N are the best to use. I can't remember much else; I'll need to review my research.

And my starting technique has changed. Use to, I'd check the oil level on the stick before starting. Now I just make sure I put in five quarts and none is on the floor!

I still do sit in the car and watch the oil idiot light go out! Oh, and even getting INTO the car is getting difficult to do! Old age stinks but it beats the alternative!

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A few sheets on newspaper under the catch basin area keeps the oil off the garage floor. ;)

Did you remember to grease the front suspension while you were under there?