Cellphone "surcharges"

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by krabben1, Sep 11, 2014.

1. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Anyone else getting hit with them?Monthly,they were like 18 dollars from sprint.This time,its up to 23 dollars.
    I called customer service,got put on hold(for a full five minutes each time)got a runaround,then finally got the "Im not able to tell you that sir"(I had inquired as to what exactly the charges were,since I was being charged for everything else under the sun,itemized,lol),so we're going to set upa CASE FILE for you and someone will contact you in a few days.
    I told her(I was being nice to her and joking)This sounds like a class action lawsuit letter in three years,lol.
    Today,I got this email.Make of it what you will.My reply was I do not wish to be billed these charges,and would like to be fully reimbursed,lol.
    Save All

Images are not displayedDisplay Images
    Good Afternoon,

This email is being sent per your recent contact with Sprint Customer Care and inquiry regarding the surcharges billed to your account. Sprint Surcharges are agreed to in Sprint’s Terms and Conditions when accepting service with Sprint. Below I have included the portion of the Terms and Conditions addressing Surcharges.

Surcharges

You agree to pay all surcharges ("Surcharges"), which may include, but are not limited to: Federal Universal Service, various regulatory charges, Sprint administrative charges, gross receipts charges, and charges for the costs we incur in complying with governmental programs. Surcharges are not taxes and are not required by law. They are rates we choose to collect from you and are kept by us in whole or in part. The number and type of Surcharges may vary depending upon the location of the billing address of the Device and can change over time. We determine the rate for these charges and these amounts are subject to change as are the components used to calculate these amounts. We will provide you notice of any changes to Surcharges in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). However, since some Surcharges are based on amounts set by the government or based on government formulas, it will not always be possible to provide advance notice of new Surcharges or changes in the amount of existing Surcharges. Information on Surcharges is provided during the sales transaction and is available on our website.

The Federal Universal Service Assessment Non-Ld is a charge levied by the FCC on telecommunication companies in order to fund programs such as subsidized telephone service for low income individuals or those who live in rural areas, internet access for schools and libraries, and medical links to rural communities.

The Administrative Charge is assessed by Sprint to help defray various costs imposed on Sprint by other telecommunications carriers, including, but not limited to, charges imposed by local telephone companies for delivery of calls from our customers to their landline customers and for certain network facilities and services we must purchase from them.

The Regulatory Charge defrays Sprint's costs related to various mandatory federal, state, and local regulatory programs.

Thank you,

Patricia R.

Business Customer Service and Technical Support

UBPExemptionRequests@sprint.com

Manage your account in one easy location; register for My Sprint Business today!

Happy Connecting!

2. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    I told Sprint to shove it!! Horrible customer service.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Metro pcs, $65 a month with unlimited data (I use 8-10 gigs per month) and rhapsody. No surprises and no surcharges. T Mobile bought them a few months ago so I now have service everywhere.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    T Mobile doesn't provide service everywhere, so how does their buying Metro PCS give you service everywhere?

[​IMG]

As you can see - it improved the coverage area - but it's not close to "everywhere". For most states that actually have service - it's a spiderweb network along the Interstates and major cities.

I have Verizon - the unquestioned leader in actually providing usable wireless services across North America - and they don't even provide service everywhere.

I live in MN - one of the states that T Mobile probably has some of their best service. But I live in the SE corner - and you will notice they don't cover that. I travel in Northern IA for work all the time (will be in Charles City later today) - and T Mobile has nothing.

Both my wife and I travel extensively for work. That's why we have Verizon.

5. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Ive been thinking about going to them.Sprint flat out lied to me about coverage in my area before I signed the contract with them.I need unlimited data and text for four smart phones(me,kids,and wife).
    I had Verizon for many years.The most expensive by far.When they ended my unlimited data after I was already grandfathered in,I left.
    It was simply a cost issue.They did have the best service in my area also(Philadelphia).
    Basically,what I got from that email reply,was that they could charge me whatever they want under the surcharge banner,and Im obligated to pay.
    So,renewal's coming up in a month or two.Ill move three phones over to someone else.I just renewed one line recently.

6. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    I only pay MO state sales tax on my Virgin Mobile phone.
    I have the $20 for 400 minute plan. They have (I think) a $40 0r $50 unlimited everything 4G plan and there is no contract either.

So No hidden fees , No contract and only sales tax as the added cost makes Virgin Mobile a winner. It uses US Cellular towers I do believe.

7. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Ive had metro before for my son's first phone.It was fine.The only other fee other than the straight charge(which was amazing)was the store's fee(3.00)to pay the bill.I was fine with that.
    Im not a cheap guy.But I feel like Im being cheated when they say one thing,get you to sign a contract,then do another.

8. Camaro75LT

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Champ, you failed to see that is a map from 2012 when T Mobile was still small and metro was on cdma. Since the merger, metro started using gsm and the company has massively expanded. Let me put up a fresh coverage map for you.

[​IMG]

I have no service problems anywhere from Maryland to Maine. I don't travel much but no service problems anywhere I've been. Again, I abuse the unlimited data (just finished watching all 5 seasons of breaking bad).

Verizon was fine but insane prices. I had Sprint as a work phone last year. Absolutely no difference between Sprint and T Mobile.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    That is a very optimistic map...:p

Has it "massively" expanded or is it just using some other companies towers to provide "some" kind of service?

And what data coverage to you have?

When checking my home on the T Mobile site - this is what it says:

Good luck with watching Breaking Bad on 2G...;)

Saying that you are better than AT&T is not something to be proud of either.

You travel from Maryland to Maine. This is the list of cities where T Mobile says it has 4G (this is from their own website):

Connecticut
    Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk
    Hartford
    New Haven-Haven-Milford

Maryland
    Baltimore

Massachusetts
    Barnstable Town
    Boston-Cambridge-Quincy
    Peabody
    Springfield

New Hampshire
    Manchester

New Jersey
    Atlantic City
    Camden
    Edison
    Newark
    Trenton
    Cambridge-Newton

New York
    Albany-Troy
    Binghamton
    Buffalo-Niagara Falls
    Nassau
    New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island
    Rochester
    Syracuse

I would have put the list down for Maine - but they didn't have Maine listed...

10. Camaro75LT

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Since "simple choice" is pre pay, your apples don't match my oranges.

Once again, I have not lost 4g signal anywhere but in cow pie PA, but I still had 2g service for voice.

The map I displayed would be the massive expansion I described but since you put a winky face after your comment, it obviously doesn't count.

I'm also on 4g as I post this 30 miles out from Boston, so that tiny list is dead nuts accurate ;)