cast iron fry pans

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by loyal guardian, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Maine1

Maine1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Franklin County, Maine
    I love hearing the memories that the good old casties bring. I've got 1/2 doz. of them in various sizes and shapes, most of them are hand me downs and have seen double duty as camp-ware and house-ware and are so old I couldn't read a the brand name on them if there is one.

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    We have a black glass top stove so the wife and I went rounds for 2 years about using cast iron on it! She wanted to keep the stove looking nice but, I was sick of stuff like, my pan getting the crispy outer layer of my chicken fried steak! After a while (and much of her own frustration with stuck meals!) she relinquished. Now, we cook on it in cast iron:) What's more shitty? A scuffed up stove or eating crappy meals for years in the name of keeping the stove nice? Damn the stove! I would rather eat well!
    Cast Iron. The original non-stick cookware!

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I hide my wife's... They HURT!!!

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a Wagner 1891 small cast iron skillet that has the seasoning instructions cast into it. Yard sales, flea markets and swap meets are the best place to get these already seasoned.

[​IMG]

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    The flea market has a guy that sells them. He wants a fortune though I was looking for a Dutch oven. He had a 10 inch and wanted 90 bucks... I passed. I went to Goodwill and found a set of 5 skillets from 12 down to I think it's a 4 inch also a lid to fit 10in for 9.00 bucks. No Dutch oven though. Cast is the way to go when using the grill. Can't hurt them unless you drop one. I have found some in the junk that were so rusted they were pitted. I threw them in a fire pit and burned all night. They stayed buried in the coals for a couple days. after that I used my air grinder with 36 grit and smoothed out the pits the best I could. I just kept going with finer grit up to 180. Washed them and put them on the side burner till they changed color and smokin hot dumped some canola in turned off the flame and let it sit til the were cool enough not to burn the oven mit and turned them upside down and laid them on the grill closed the lid and came back the next day. They looked great

6. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    You will think I'm nuts but here goes, If they are really old and got lotsa Crud built up on them warm them up with your cutting torch then hit the cruddy areas with the oxygen from about 3 inches away. The crud and other mess will literally explode away from the pan and leave it like new. Works for cleaning cylinder heads also the carbon doesn't stand a chance, a little brush work and you have a spotless head ready for machining and a valve job.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That doesn't sound crazy. That is creative thinking. I went through the fire pit process because of severe rust. Some say not to clean all the crud off, but when it has that moldy old smell I have to get it down to original. People also say never use soap to clean. My Mom used to clean with SOS pad which has soap. Hers did not have a crust like I have seen some folks. She oiled them and put them away for the next used. Also for the aluminum pans she SOS them like polishing just before use and you could fry an egg that did not stick. It would slide around like the new style nonstick coated pans of today.