cast iron fry pans

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by loyal guardian, Apr 29, 2016.

1. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    After growing up with a few cast irons, i went and bought a new one. I guess I found the new iron not like what i expected because the ones i grew up with are 50 years if not older and well seasoned, so i set out on a way to kinda fast track the seasoning process. Here is what I found that works well so far and also works on fixing old pans as I took on the job of fixing 2 of my father in laws pans after he was impressed with mine.

For a new pan:
    Throw the thing on a grill or in a firepit to burn off all OEM crud and casting chunks. let it cool naturally. then heat it on the stove top and add a thin layer vegetable oil rubbing it with a paper towel. After it has cooled throw it upside down on the bottom rack of the oven (that rack no body uses). if its a gas oven dont worry but if its electric add a layer of aluminum foil so you dont drip oil on the coils. the reason for it being upside down is so the oil doesnt puddle but spreads.

the first day keep your oven on at between 400 and 450 for a few hours. 450 works really well but 400 will do the trick just as well. every 30 minutes add a thin layer of oil. when your done keep it in the oven to cool naturally. the next day repeat. do this for a few days and the oil will literally enamelize on the pan without a greasy residue. after a week of this process, i cooked eggs on the pan and it cleaned up super easy with only a small disliked rub spot that a little oil fixed right away. after you are satisfied with the initial curing just leave that pan on that rack and for ever 350 or higher baking use add a little oil, or if your bored and not doing anything that day turn the oven on and repeat.

For an old pan:
    firepit or grill hot enough to remove old crud and some rust by allowing it to smolder and smoke. youll know its good when it stops smoking. a steel wool or grill scrapper scrubbing to finish it. the goal is to remove gouges in the old seasoning, remove the rust if there is any, and brush off the excess brown crystalized oils. it does not have to be perfect and if you can save some of the old seasoning like in the corners do so.

After that just do the same general stuff for a new pan.

My pans so far look like a cheaper glossy paint job on a car and are real easy to clean with just water and a greenie weenie sponge.

hope this helps someone.

Forgot to mention if you and new oil in mid process and the paper towel finds sticky spots you are using too much oil.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I got lucky about 15 years ago when my grandma kinda gave up on cooking and gave me 6 different sized cast iron skillets that were handed down to her from my great grandfather. These beasts must be 70+ years old and have been properly cared for all their lives. I use them for almost anything I want to cook and there is nothing better. When done I just fill them up with water, heat them up a bit on the stove then wipe them out with a scratchy sponge. Put a light layer of oil on them and put away till next time. Its kinda cool knowing my great grandparents used these to cook and feed their family of 12 kids way back in the day.

3. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    We have fancy pans and skillets my wife bought. They ended up just for show in the kitchen, and we use my parents old iron skillets everyday. Old stuff is still the best stuff...You can get some iron in your diet from them also. So I have read..

4. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Man those things are a dime a dozen at auctions and garage sales, why'd ya go buy a new one?:confused:
    We only use em outside now since we got a new glass top stove though.:(

5. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    we dont have swap meets here really and its been too cold for garage sales.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Wife bakes her pies in a cast iron pie pan because it heats more evenly than other pans and the pie crust cooks better that way.

7. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Airville, PA
    I use Crisco to season my pans. About the same as you do but I let the pan cool in between coats. Reminds me I have a few to refurbish. Just gonna sandblast them and season them up.

8. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Lodge (the original cast iron skillet brand) makes steel frying pans now that are the thickness of a wok. Most hardware stores sell them.

Great for sautéing and omelettes.

9. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    my parents still use cast iron skillets handed down from there grandparents (ate bacon cooked in one this morning). one of the coolest hand me down cooking pans my dad has is one his dad made from a car fender. he cooks peanuts on it.

10. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    To rehab an old cruddy cast iron pan, just put it in a self-cleaning oven during the cleaning cycle. I tried this and it worked perfectly! Just wash afterwards and re-season using your preferred method. It will look like new.