Casper's 1973 Ls Powered Restomod Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by CasperCasper, Aug 12, 2015.

1. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015

Thanks for the advice guys.

I wanted to note that the water pump is just plugging a hole right now and I will be running a camaro pump with spacers I believe, haven't looked into it much. I will be running a cable throttle body, I could never go drive by wire!

Cheers

2. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    It's been ages since I've updated my thread. The car is getting close to firing. I handbuilt my entire Microsquirt harness and have tested every sensor through my laptop, they all work! I also test fired my injectors and coils, as well as made sure my tachometer works through MS's tach signal generator. Very cool stuff.

I really wanted a symmetrical look in my engine bay and cannot afford to buy costly serpentine brackets, so in true Casper fashion I spent many many hours designing, documenting and fabricating my own serpentine system. My system uses the saginaw truck ps pump and the truck 140amp alternator. I opted for the truck 140amp over the car 100amp because I am going to be running a lot of electronics. I now have a belt on and adjusted.This is the result:

[​IMG]

I am able to use the car LS1 water pump because of some special spacers I got waterjet cut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I slapped some GTA wheels on the car to get her on the road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got a smoking deal on a Mcleod bellhousing which adapts a LS1 to SM465. Because of the big locating bore on the sm465 I press fit a Novak adapter ring onto the input shaft bearing retainer so that the ST10 locates nicely. This is a pretty serious looking setup now

[​IMG]

In the same deal I got a wilwood hydraulic clutch setup including a throw out bearing. Sadly I had to take all my mechanical linkage out and, you guessed it, spend many hours designing and fabricating a bracket so that the wilwood slave works with my stock pedal. Sure enough, it does ;)

[​IMG]

I tried some SEM spray bombs on my rear seats and was blown away:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My whole interior was done in Xmat. I have yet to finish the passenger door as I lost the door lock pawl and am waiting for a new one :(

One door panel on . The door is from a 74 so I had to cut and modify the door structure to accept the 70 door handle, that sucked and was an uphill battle:

[​IMG]

I also got my door glass in and aligned which all in all was a tricky process.

[​IMG]

I hacked up this 1970 U14 cluster to accept a custom shift light I made as well as an oil pressure gauge hehehe

[​IMG]

But you can't tell me it doesnt look nice ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now. The next thing you should see is a video of her running I hope!

Cheers

John Wright likes this.
  3. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
  4. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Just looking at the trans, can't tell by the pics but just make sure the input shaft / pilot bearing are happy.

5. GunnerMN

GunnerMN Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Elko, MN
    You're getting a lot of work done. Looks sweet! Can't wait to hear it run!
    I'm doing almost the same thing with my accessories, but am worried about there not being enough belt wrap around the crank pulley. I thought about making the alternator adjustable to take up the belt slack, but think I am going to end up making an adjustable idler pulley that wraps the belt around the crank pulley a little more.

CasperCasper likes this.
  6. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Im satisfied with the belt wrap I get. I see other top mount alt. Setups like mine. My alt adjusts. You will need a camaro tstat housing for belt clearance.

7. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Long time, no update. As usual life happens and unfortunately I need to stop dumping money into the car for a bit until I find a new job. I would much rather change jobs when I am young with few responsibilities as I am, so in a sense, I am happy to make a career switch now!

I have made some progress on the car however.

I refinished the stock nasty white interior. I spray painted right over it. I don't expect the seats to last at all but this will get me through the summer.

[​IMG]
    I got the glass installed by a friend who is very good, I have known him many years and he has worked on some extremely high end cars such as lambo's and split windows. Needless to say he did a great job on the glass install. My trim is pretty mangled, as is the rear bumper, but that can be fixed down the road.

[​IMG]

I put a lot of time into the engine bay. My custom accessory system is working well. I have ran the car only three times but am confident with the setup, and proud of myself for making one that is so symmetrical in my backyard with a jigsaw. The intake is 4in stainless and I love it. The dam filter is extremely loud however. I may have to adjust the radiator a bit for the hood to clear. Also note the 1.75in polished stainless coolant tubes I made. I migged them together with stainless wire and polished them with a flapper disk, then scotchbrite disk, and then sandpaper varying in grits. They turned out really nice. I wanted the cleanest possible look in the engine bay. Obviously you can see the ugly red power wire and temp. blue overflow tube, but that engine bay is a fully running engine and thats 99% complete! I am very happy with how empty the engine bay is.

[​IMG]

I have done a lot of other work as well such as installing a new EFI tank (spectra), running the fuel lines etc. The car fired up when I first tried it (after 5min of playing with the injector flow set to 0 haha). I'm new to standalones but the car is running, rich as hell, as I dont have my wideband O2 sensor in. I built a 3in exhaust complete with x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers. The cam chops good and I like the sound but it is going to be a bit loud. Here is a video of the car running:

In other news I installed a mcleod super street extreme clutch. I am using a RAM throwout bearing and a 3/4in wilwood master cyl. I need to make a pedal stop as the custom bracket I designed for the master cyl allows a little too much fluid to move, but no big deal. The transmission is installed and I relocated the mounting holes in the cross member by less than an inch. This combo fits in a nearly dead stock location which is funny because it is a LS engine, has a block plate, mcleod bell, 1/4in trans spacer for the throwout bearing and a custom richmond trans haha. I never thought in a million years it would be so close.

I need a couple more parts, namely speedo cable/electronic converter and a drive shaft. I have a million little things to do but should have the car on the road sooner than later.

Car is currently sitting on GTA wheels

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Zulu28, John Wright and brooksman9 like this.
  8. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Nice work man. Good luck on the new job front.

CasperCasper likes this.
  9. GunnerMN

GunnerMN Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Elko, MN
    Good job on getting the car running and doing all of this work yourself! It is something to be proud of

CasperCasper likes this.
  10. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Good job Casper!!

CasperCasper likes this.