Carpet install question

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by muscl car, Feb 4, 2018.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm having a local upholstery shop install a carpet into my Camaro this week !! . I was quoted $450 for labor and materials which is just carpet and padding . They told me one day to do this

Now it's a drag race car with a 8pt cage , racing seats and aluminum bulkhead and package tray . This means that the carpet has to be cut to fit around the roll cage

Edit ...

Does this sound like a good price I was quoted at ??

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. muscl car

Well I stopped by this shop yesterday Afternoon and put Down a deposit and will have my Camaro there on Wednesday . They're going to make the carpet into (3) sections , one piece will just cover the trans tunnel and the other remaining pieces for the driver and pass side

We decided this is better as it'll make it easier to remove if needed , can't wait to see it completed !!!

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Why kind of carpet are they using?

I'm curious if they are using ozite carpet?

https://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

It's not real expensive stuff and for the price you could have done it yourself with some spray adhesive and even ordering enough for mess-ups...Enough of this stuff to do your floors would have been less than $50

So I don't really know if $450 was a good deal. They might have overcharged ya

It doesn't have a backing and shapes to the floor pan really easy

4. muscl car

Yes it's Ozite and I didn't want to do it myself as I've got a 8pt roll cage and a Hurst Quarter stick . I would probably screw up the carpet trying to get it to fit around the cage and shifter

Also climbing over the door bars and then climb over the main hoop would wear me out fast

They're using a border trim around the carpet where it's been trimmed to fit

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Call me crazy, but I think that's the way to go. I don't really care that much anymore if I get overcharged a bit, as long as I get what I want. If they're going to bind edges of the carpet, that looks so much more professional. If they do a good job going around your cage and Quarter Stick , it'll be worth it. Is this the car that just had that beautiful tin work done?

Rene Melten and muscl car like this.
  6. muscl car

Yep that's the car !!

1207171552_HDR.jpg 1207171552.jpg

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Sweet chuck def post up pictures when done...................

muscl car likes this.
  8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    That's expensive for carpet but not as expensive as not being right and doing it over until it's just OK. Once it's in and looks right you'll be pleased, IMO. Just make sure it's done how you want it done and don't let them dictate the "look" if you have something else in mind.

9. muscl car

Was planning on that !!!

10. muscl car

I've seen this shops work from some of the cars I've seen up here and their work is awesome !!