Carbon cleaners/ fuel additives

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by badazz81z28, Mar 30, 2016.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is there anything you can pour in the gas and actually helps clean and prevent carbon build up on intake valves?

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I use Lucas fuel injector cleaner. It's kept my engines clean for years.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used both of these with good results.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    seafoam. excellent product!

5. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I recently used stp multipurpose motor treatment and chicken deploritory (or something to that effect). Comes in a ripoff of a seafoam can but has a funnel attached. The internet says it's mostly Mineral spirits and kerosene. I put a good size splash into my late 70s snow blower before each fueling. I ran a total of three tanks and 2/3s of the can though the machine. There is definitely less carbon on the piston now then before this winter started. I can't say for sure the additive had anything to do with it as the machine sat for 20+ years before I got it.

I don't hold much faith in fuel additives. New engines run pretty clean with basic maintenance. I do run some washer fluid though the pcv valve as a top end cleaned before each oil change. My 180k millage Taurus had no carbon buildup in the cylinders before I got rid of the car.

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Food for thought....If you use these products alot, you're most likely ok to keep doing so. If you dump this into the gas tank of a car that's not well maintained or used to them, careful...you might get what you wish for. They will loosen up all the gunk in your fuel lines as well, and can clog up your fuel filter, and your carb jets pretty quickly. An alternative, it to spray it in your carb while the engine's running. This will eliminate the possiblility of this happening. Warm up the car, block the throttle around 2500 or so, and go to town. Don't be alarmed if you experience a bit, (or alot) of smoke out of the exhaust. It will clear up. I do this with sea-foam on alot of my small engine equipment, with really good results. Good luck.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Nothing works as well as GM's own product for this purpose. It doesn't go into the gas tank. You pour it directly into the carb.
    [​IMG]

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    My set-up is basically brand new. When I swapped my engine into my other car, it had maybe a few thousand miles on it. At that time I noticed some of the intake valves had a little build up. I suspect the gas on the base is just cheap and the lowest amount of detergents. I'm not looking to clean a highway beater.

9. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Methanol injection works spectacular. Adds power, eliminates chance of detonation and cleans the combustion chambers.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I missed one. I also spray this one down the carb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016