Carbide-Tipped Sawzall Blades

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Twisted_Metal, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A sawzall can finally live up to it's name and cut almost ANYTHING.
    You just need the right blade!

Demonstration on hardened tool steel:

[youtube]JDKiORlQ9rk[/youtube]

Diablo - Steel Demon carbide-tipped blades.
    (Fairly new product... On the market for 2 years or so.)

I used one of these last weekend to cut through the leaf spring eye bolts on my GMC Jimmy.
    Those bolts are 9/16" diameter, grade 8 (metric 10.9) plus the steel bushing insert.
    So... I was cutting something about 3/4" thick.

Not a very fast cut but much quicker than using a 4.5" cut-off wheel.
    A couple of the teeth were wore down a little by the time I was done but it got the job done!

Getting the sawzall into the right angle under the vehicle was the hardest part.

After cutting through the eye bolt... I used it to chop the rear leaf shackle apart.
    I couldn't believe how fast this blade cut through the mild steel shackle. Scary fast! :eek:

I remember attempting to use a sawzall to hack through the leaf spring shackle bolts in my Camaro several years ago... A futile attempt.
    A bi-metal blade just made smoke from the rubber bushing and polished a spot on the bolt. :(

Available at Northern Tool and Home Depot... $11 for two of the 6" blades at Home Depot.

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Hmm... I wonder if these would cut through my brand-new galled stainless body bolts?

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Just went and wrote them on the Lowes list for Saturday.

Should cut through stainless steel bolts like butter, they're not as hard as grade 8.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    When they first came out Home Depot had them for $1 a blade to try them. They had the steel blade and the wood blade (which also works better than any wood blade I have ever used.) Looking back, I guess it was kind of a jerk move on my part, but I bought all of them from my three closest stores! I am down to only about 20 left from several hundred.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I use them all the time . I have 2 in my saw box now . As far as cutting metal or steel a regular hack saw fine tooth blade will do . I use the carbide edge to cut accurate and non destructive holes in plaster ( metal or wood lath ) for ac / heating duct and regesters . They make plaster blades but you get 1cut and done . You can cut a whole house with the carbide ones . Cutting plaster is like cutting cement and in some of the older homes can be up to an inch and a half thick with metal lath holding it together . They also cut cast iorn pipe .

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Thanks for the tip Terry.

8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I tried those Diablo carbide blades a few months ago.....and immediately returned them!

perhaps I apply too much pressure but I smoked them almost instantly - the carbide just chipped right off

9. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Dexter would love them!

10. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    A drop of cutting oil and let the saw do the work and they last quite a bit longer (hard to do sometimes when you want it done). Cutting soft aluminum and such I use lotion soap and that stops the gummed up teeth about 100%