Carb ls1 engine, t56 swap in my 70

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Tpichevy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Just picked up a 2000 Corvette ls1 83k miles. Has a damaged ecm and harness was messed up at ECM connection also. Wanting to keep the old school feel so I'm planning on going carb. Things I have purchased--Msd 6010 box/harness, gmpp single plane, dirty dingo engine mount brackets, Trunioned rocker arms, LS2 timing chain.
    Cam I'm thinking about is a new grind high lift ASA cam 226-236 .600" 110, heads I'm leaning twords are ported 799 milled to 61cc.
    Parts that I think I still need/want are- LS7 lifters, milling high flow oil pump,

Parts I'm not sure about are what fuel pump I need/want to run?? What headers I'll want (thinking mid length) to gain ground clearance and keep is more simple.

For now I'll try running a Holley 650 double pumper, or Edelbrock 600 I have laying around and see how that plays out.

I'm on the hunt for a T56. How can I keep it a non hydraulic clutch setup like I'm running now?

Would also like to run my factory radiator, need to figure out hose problem.....leaning at making my own from hard tubing (stainless, aluminum?) I can weld it or have it done.

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    If you can go back to efi I’d suggest you do it because to do all this and go carb your pretty much better of going with a non ls block and staying stock.... but that’s just my suggestion.

I thought the same with my swap and everyone said it was pointless so I went with the efi and I’m glad I did

Good luck on what you decide.

3. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    I would stay away from the high volume oil pump, they cause more issues than they fix. if you want higher pressure just stick a .070 washer under the relief spring. Which trunnion upgrade did you buy for the rockers? The needle bearing style ones Comp and other sell will fail slowly. I did a thread on another site on the problems with that style trunnion upgade, bushing style trunnions hold up much better.
    This is a Comp trunnion after 12,000 miles

[​IMG]

Link to the thread http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=52179

4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Checkout microsquirt if you want a quick and easy intro to efi. The $~400 micro from efi source will indeed run your engine. My setup did 421whp with the micro! It was far easier than carburating and is so easy to tune!

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Be mindful of the cam selection if going carb. Also I feel it's easier to go hydraulic clutch, but there are bellhousing and adapter plates to run a pivot ball mechanical clutch. If your going to do this, I also highly suggest fuel injection and hydraulic clutch because it's already there and works. FI is so nice....

6. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Ok what's needed to run hydraulic clutch in our cars?
    My battle with EFI vs carb is I know how to tune a carb (free by me) EFI takes a tuner and make it run and money to pay them. I have a built EFI 355 and I'm absolutely sick of trying to get it tuned...yes it's an older EFI setup from a 91 Camaro (speed density 730ecm) and I'm sure LS EFI is easier but I like the idea of being able to tune myself.
    Plus the cost of a custom harness new ecm, fuel system, ls6 or better intake vs LS1 just seems to add lots to the build. I guess I'm being cheap but I got the engine for $1,600 complete so I was hoping to run carb and be done with it under 3k plus the t56 of course.

7. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    This is my other engine setup I built....

Attached Files:

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
  9. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id