Car will not turn off

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 76 camaro car 1, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
  2. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    This shows the hardest part.

Without the tool it is all but impossible to remove the ring holding that plate down. The rest of it is fairly simple.

76 camaro car 1 likes this.
  3. ZWhite72

ZWhite72 New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Valparaiso, IN

4. ZWhite72

ZWhite72 New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Valparaiso, IN
  5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I made this same tool out of flat bar but used
    a nut on the steering shaft to compress the plate to get the snap ring out.

6. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    I ordered the tool from ebay today. Was $15. with shipping. I am wondering if I am going to be able to get the parts needed to repair it once I get it torn down and see what is needed. Think the parts would still be available at the dealer? I put a pair of vice grips on the rod today because I had to move the car. It started right up and turned off pushing and pulling on the rod. I have a car coming in tomorrow for paint and body work so it will be a couple days before I can mess with the camaro again. I have to wait on the tool to get here anyway.

7. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    If the parts are not available from a dealer, maybe in your town or close by there is a company that specializes in column repair. We have a place locally here in Saint Louis Missouri called Fitz'z Column Repair that rebuild steering columns, do air bag work, replace ignition switches and so on. I don't know if they sell parts over the counter but I know when they are training people, they buy a bunch of columns from salvage yards and have the new guys take them apart to see how they are put together and become more familiar with them and then organize the parts in bins to use later.

Jim

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I don't know about parts other than the signal cancel parts. The signal cancel parts are on the shelf at Oreilly auto in my town. Also, the tool to take the locking spring is on their shelf too. I have been lucky enough to just pick up the necessary parts and tools right near my house rather than having to order from some third world country and wait.