Car will not turn off

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 76 camaro car 1, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    orkin noted in post #6 to check the linkage between the key and the switch itself. It is adjustable by sliding the switch a bit on its mounting screws. It could be as simple as the switch isn't going quite far enough to shut off the power.

76 camaro car 1 likes this.
  2. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    you've definitely nailed one of your problems as the coil should not be hot/live when you kill the motor! Glad you've figured some things out:)

before i ruled the alt out, i'd put a voltmeter on there with motor running to see what you're getting at the battery (could be your volt gauge giving you probs).

3. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    Do I need to drop the steering column to get to the switch?

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It should be visible looking under the dash without removing anything. It mounts to the steering column.

5. 76 camaro car 1

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    OK, Thanks. I will look for it today.

6. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Here is a column out of my 74 Nova looking down on it:

[​IMG]

And here are the two small screws going through slots on the switch bracket to allow the switch to be moved. (one is for a standard column and the other a tilt column but basically they both slide once the screws are loosened):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

7. 76 camaro car 1

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    Thanks for the column pictures. I lowered the column and found the switch. I removed it and using a small screwdriver it slides into all positions. I put the switch back on and was going to try to adjust it. I think I have something broken inside the steering column. When I turn the key it feels like something is jamming up inside the column and the rod that goes to the switch does not move. With the switch off I can move the rod by hand and the key does not move. If I have to tear into the column where should I start? Going into the column is uncharted waters for me. IMG_3959.jpg

8. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I've not had a column apart but I believe there is a rack made out of die cast material that the ignition switch tumbler assembly moves which then connects to the rod and then the rod to the switch on the topside of the column and maybe the rack or related gear is jamming up.

I wonder too, if any column repair stuff is covered in any of the GM factory shop manuals ?.

Jim

9. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    go to Jim Shea's steering papers you should find everything there is to know about steering columns he was a GM engineer.
    http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/

10. 76 camaro car 1

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    I would start another thread and see if anyone here has any info on tearing into a column but not sure which section to put it in.