Car sitting uneven after raising

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Seventy1ProTour, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    So I've been lifting my car using a jack at the lift points acouple of times in the past few weeks, test fitting my wheels and measuring spacers...the sorts.

I noticed after massaging the fenders alittle, on a test drive shortly after that my driver side front was a half inch lower than the passenger side. I'm running hotchkis springs up front.

I did not notice much rubbing after initial install a week prior, but after lifting each Corner and working some clearance I now have an uneven ride.

Any ideas what happened? The car has settled and is still uneven. The springs have been on the car for over a year at least.

Thanks.

2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    You can swap the Springs side to side to see if the unevenness follows.

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Make sure the spring is seated correctly in the lower control arm. The tail of the coil should be located between the two little holes in the lower control arm.
    [​IMG]

Also make sure the spring is fit up into the upper pocket correctly as well...sometimes it can be sitting on the crown rather than the upper pocket.
    [​IMG]

4. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    Think this can happen just by lifting repeatedly? Possibly the passenger is out of socket causing it to teeter the weight to the driver side?

5. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    Also, I'm stuck in NY for the week because of Xmas...and it's all I'm thinking about. Sort of had to leave it this way the day I left.

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Nah, I doubt it. Just throwing out ideas that can have an effect on the static ride height.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Some springs are not exact stiffness and the weight on them side to side is also not the same....You can shim the springs to get an even ride height. With my Hotchkis coils I used their spacers to even the ride height. Good reason to use coil overs.

8. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Almost all my first and second gen F-Bodies were a 1/4 to 1/2 off on each side
    I cant remember ever having one that was perfectly level side to side

9. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. The possibility of it just not being even as well as hotchkis springs not being perfect. I may get QA1 coilovers or see what spacers(?) I can use to even it out.