Car Show Preperation

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Sean 74Z, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Sean 74Z

Sean 74Z Veteran Member

Dec 12, 2010
    MEMPHIS,TN
    I promised my dad that once the car was at a good point I would put it in a car show. It was a stipulation that he had when we bought the car. I don't expect to win anything , but he said that it would be a good experience. Just like the build, it was part of the process and I needed to finish it off right. We have gone to a few car shows together, but neither of us have ever put a car in one. We really have no idea how to prepare for it. I am sure there are Nasty members who judge these events or have placed their cars in car shows and we were wondering were there any basic rules, or items that we should make sure we have in place before going. That doesn't just mean the car, but also what we need to have in place to have fun when we go there. I searched and couldn't find a thread that included a list of things we should do and shouldn't do.

Thanks Sean

2. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    i know the show we attend , you have to have a first aid kit and fire exsting. in clear view, and a matched set of tires , other than that shine , shine , and shine some more , good luck

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. marksbluez

marksbluez Member

Nov 12, 2006
    ohio
    Clean, clean, and clean some more !!

4. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Here is my list:

Detail spray
    Microfiber Towels
    Glass cleaner
    Drinking water
    Snacks
    Lawn chair
    Sunblock

I wash mine before a I leave the house and wipe the dust off when I arrive. I use the detail spray and microfiber towels to reduce swirling when dusting. I'll clean the windows if they got dirty.

Mine isn't a daily driver so, about every 4 months I do a light polishing where needed, glaze the paint and wax. I use glaze rather than a heavy or medium compound as I'm not comfortable cutting into my paint. I have no idea how much clear is on my car!!!

Our local shows don't require any safety equipment.

Mine isn't a show car so, I don't go to win. It's fun just hanging out with others.

The biggest don't! Don't drive like an idiot in and/ or around the show. Don't burn out, rev, etc.

Have fun!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  5. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Have most of/all of your cleaning done before you get there. One of my biggest peeves is the guy that sprays any kind of vinyl/rubber protectant all over the place. Once airborne that stuff flies everywhere...including onto everyone else's car. If you need to use this stuff at the show spray the rag/towel and then wipe onto the area you need to.

6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    get a bikini chick to stand near your car when judges show up

7. Dad's 73 camaro

Dad's 73 camaro Member

May 9, 2011
    port saint lucie, fl
    Safety equipment is always a good idea. The detailing is self explanatory and every show has different rules. If they allow, I would bring a party tent (the ones with no sides) or chairs with canopies or umbrellas. I am in Florida and the sun will bake you so we take one anytime we are allowed. We also bring sand bags to anchor the tent. Have fun, have fun, have fun.

8. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    I've been going to small shows for years. Take a pop up canopy and some chairs. Sunscreen, beer cooler and lunch because the food at shows is usually expensive, some buddies, and relax. I usually clean the car before I go, then just wipe it down with some detail spray and a rag when I get there. I don't spend an hour cleaning the car when I'm there.

I don't get strung out over trophies. If I don't win I don't care. I treat them like a cruise night. I like dash plaques to prove I was there. I usually give my trophies to the local Special Olympics. They have a deal with a local trophy shop to make new name plates for free and they give them out at their show every year. Less junk for me to dust.

9. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    Preparing to have your car judged at a car show is a lot of work. If there are different judging classes, you may want to see which one best suits your car. Even when I'm having my car judged where I need to drive it for several hours (like Carlisle), I wash, wax, touch up, clean the interior, under hood and trunk. I do place a fire extinguisher in the trunk and documentation (if the car is original) in a binder. If you're going to be out in the sun, I bring plenty of water, chairs and a tent for shade. Once I arrive with the car, I get to work. I bring out the detail bag and start all over again. I get the bugs off the car, if you waxed it earlier apply detail spray, clean the wheels/rims, the windows (most judges want the windows rolled up), clean under the hood and set up your documentation. Stay by your car when it is being judged. When the judges leave, you can relax and enjoy the show. Like I said, its a lot of work. I can only do this for the bigger shows. My car has original paint and at one time was a daily driver. It was garaged and ended up winning "Best Original Paint" at Carlisle.

10. Sean 74Z

Sean 74Z Veteran Member

Dec 12, 2010
    MEMPHIS,TN
    OK, All really good stuff and thanks. Like I mentioned, I dont plan on winning, but I want to represent and show good.
    How do you know when the judges will be around? It will just be me and my dad. so I dont want to be gone and miss them

I am setting up a few poster boards showing my build. It is an idea we had because sometimes looking through someones photo book kind of reminds me of when my dad use to go through photo albums with us. I figured just a few pictures of the rebuild and maybe a few before and after shots of different areas.

We are lucky enough to have some of the original sales contract, receipt and documentation so I would like to show that because it is kind of interesting. Should that be in a folder or another way that is easily seen? I am also a little afraid to leave the car and go exploring with my dad. Is that something that I should be afraid of? I kind of expect most car lovers to be like the guys on this site. Just helpful and interested in enjoying seeing other things

We will have to get some sort of shade thing because we dont have any.

Freddy, I am sure there are lots of Bikini girls on Emerald Isle, just send me some

How do the different judging classes work? Mine is mostly original, but we did change some stuff. Also, should it be posted if we need some safety equipment on the car show web page? I will have to look back at that. We washed and waxed it the other day. We are not professionals at it ,but I guess it will have to do. We have about two weeks to go before the show so we will work on the engine compartment and under side next because I have been driving it.

I guess I will have to call and see if there are different categories and see if I fit into any one of them better than the others. I can think of a few that would fit me the best, but they probably dont have one for " did my best , but now I just want to drive and enjoy it" class