Car just back from paint- what products to use?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by OsborneConst, Sep 24, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Took 15 years but that is what happened to mine! I had it taken down to bare metal and re-painted, Both sides rusted! As I said, I never drive it in the rain and only washed it periodically. Learned something new.....I never understood why it rusted for no reason.

2. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2008
    ffx, va
    Not much help, but I'd keep it as dry as you could!
    I like that int/ext color combo.

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Awesome car!!!!

I go a little overboard. I don't take a hose to my car. My car is black and I've found this it be the best method to reduce swirls.

I wash it panel by panel.

First I spray a waterless wash on the panel then wash the panel with a rinseless car wash and a plush microfiber towel.

I dry the panel with a waffle weave towel.

I grab a new microfiber towel for each panel.

For light dust removal, I just use a waterless wash, changing the towel after each panel then follow up with a detail spray.

Keep a good wax or sealant on the paint to protect it from bird crap, water and bug etching.

Meguires m21 topped with their m26 looks amazing and is available at most auto parts stores. It won't be by their consumer line though. Look ny where they keep the body shop supplies.

Swirls happen no matter how careful you are. I polish my car about once a year. During that time I use Poorboys Black Hole glaze or Chemical Blacklight. Both fill in minor imperfections and can be topped with a wax. Both would look great on your car.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
  5. divemistress

divemistress Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 21, 2014
    Oak Harbor, WA

car looks amazing! We are taking ours down to bare metal so we will watch that area you talked about. I am hoping to use mine as well regularly so it will see rain. It's going to happen living in the Seattle area.. :)

6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I've got a Tacoma that looks like that. Mine is Magnetic Gray Metallic. The code is 1G3.

7. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks! It rains in Seattle? :eek:

8. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Magnetic gray metallic was in my top 10 choices, as well a few others from Toyota. I can't remember them all, but there was cosmic gray metallic, and flint mica metallic. There were also several from GM, ashen gray metallic, cyber gray metallic and others. I ended up choosing this particular color, as it looks about the same in almost any light, where the new metallics would look purple or blue or green.

9. divemistress

divemistress Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 21, 2014
    Oak Harbor, WA

okay to be fair, we live two hours north of Seattle where get do not get as much rain. My daughter moved to Seattle to go to college... her comment? OMG mom!! It rains down here everyday!! :)

10. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    I highly recommend Jetseal from Chemical Guys.