Car just back from paint- what products to use?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by OsborneConst, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Shelton, Nebraska
    The best products I've found are by Griots. My paint guy turned me onto them and they're amazing. I use Griots Speed Shine the most. I uncover the car, use the Griots bug remover first wherever needed. Then I use the Speed Shine. I haven't washed my car in 2 years since and I love the stuff. Always looks nice and shiny. Lucas has a nice speed wax I use once in a while too.

2. bfendick

bfendick Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Vernon, BC
    Since my car was painted 4 years ago I have never washed it with water, I use the clean and dirty chamois method. You use two chamois, wet them and "wash" the car with the dirty one and dry it with the clean one. I have a "c" marked on the clean one and a "d" marked on the dirty one. I have never been in the rain and haven't had anything worse then rubber on the back fenders from burnouts on it, those I cleaned off first with brake cleaner spray. I think your painter is telling you to not seal the paint so that it can cure better the first two months.

3. secondgenfan

secondgenfan Veteran Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Altamonte Springs, Fl
    Love that color! Nice job.

4. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks guys for all of the info! I will look into those products. The car is turning out nicer than I imagined, and I want to keep it as nice as possible. However, I built it for a driver, and it will be driven, hopefully a lot. So it will see rain, although I will try to avoid it when possible. Several buddies and I are planning on power tour in two years, and my wife and I plan on running Route 66 across the country too. And I will drive it as much as possible for work when I don't need a truck.

5. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    It is PPG paint, it doesn't have a name, only a number, which is kind of lame. I guess I should come up with my own name.

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    My painter does some pretty high end restorations, and is very knowledgable on how metal works and acts, and kind of blew my mind talking about it. When I first went to him with my 'solid' car, the first thing he told me was about the area between the door and the rear wheel. He said the way that it was made, it was solid on the outside, and everything seems great. But AFTER it gets repainted, especially after taking it down to bare metal, it rusts from the inside out. So he told me he cuts that area out of every 2nd gen he does, otherwise they start rusting out a few years after being painted.

7. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks!

8. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks!

9. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    That color looks like 69 Camaro/Nova called Shadow Gray. In hs had my 64
    LeMans painted that color. LOVED IT.

10. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Like the painter mentioned do nothing for a few months. If you plan on wet sanding it for a even better finish let it bake out in the sun to help get all the shrinking done.