Car cover - need input

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by ssupercoolss, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    My car is no show car like alot of the rides i see here, but i still try to take care of it the best i can. My car sits outside, (i know. No garage. it is what it is.) and she is definitely not the most water tight vehicle in the world. I bought what i thought was a pretty decent cover, which was the covercraft noah cover. It did a fairly decent job for 8-9 months. when it was new, water beaded and ran off of it. before winter, i noticed this wasnt the case, and i actually had puddles of water inside the cover like around the elastic, front bottom, and rear bottom, and the cover was sucked down to the car when wet. Right now, putting the cover on is basically like throwing a towel over my car. As a last ditch effort with this cover i sprayed 303 water repellent on it. Results are not in on that yet. Covercraft hasnt been real receptive to a warranty claim since i dont have the reciept/invoice any longer. This wont happen again with cover #2.

So for those, like me, that cover their car, outside, for extended periods, what cover have you had good success with? Durability, waterproofing, etc.

2. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    Not too many covers will completely keep the water out - they have to breathe. When I know it's going to rain, I put a cheap ($15.00) disposable plastic cover over the top of my regular cover. A good disposeable cover will last the complete rainy season.

California Car Cover can supply any material that Covercraft can supply. I have one from Covercraft and 3 from California Car Cover. I've had one cover replaced under warranty from CA Car Cover and the claim process was very easy. The cover was damaged from washing and I figured it was my fault but after talking to a CA Car Cover rep, he said turn in the tags off the cover and pay the shipping and they would send me a new cover. It arrived in a week. I'm a customer for life.

Mike

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Put in a carport and use the cover under it.

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Damp/wet underneath i get, but mines soaked. It looks like my car is in a wet t-shirt contest when it rains. I remember when i got it, there would be some puddles on the hood, and by the spoiler i would just tug on the cover a little and they would run off. nothing like that happens anymore. it seems like it has lost all of its water repellent properties. Whatever the next cover, i will, 1)save reciept/invoice. 2) read the warranty, read it again, and then do whatever they recommend to keep the warranty alive.

5. zpete

zpete Veteran Member

Aug 9, 1999
    I have two vehicles that have to set outside. I generally buy CoverCraft Noah covers for them through Summit. They work very well for the first year, then it's down hill from there. They'll still keep the bird crap, etc. off, but not the rain from going through.