Can't install rubber bump stops in upper control arms for 1970 Camaro.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Rich Gershman, May 21, 2017.

1. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

May 21, 2017
    Having difficulty installing rubber bump stops in upper control arm for a 1970 Camaro. It seems impossible to get the tab connected to the rubber bumper, through the slot of the control arm, without tearing the tab. I've used silicone grease to facilitate this, but it becomes so slippery, that the pliers slip off of the tab when any force is applied or I just rip the tab from the stretching needed to do this. The upper control arms are not connected to the spindles yet so I can rotate them upward to access the bottom side, but that doesn't seem like it will help push the tab through the slot. Help!!!!!

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I used some poly urethane ones that have a 1/4 in. stud in them. Drilled a hole in the slot. Done. I couldn't get mine in either.

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I just stuck mine in recently. I used a pliers to hold the top of the upper tab on the bump stop and then used a very small flat head screwdriver to depress the lower tang to get it to go thru the slot on the a-arm. Start on one side, once you get it thru the slot it will get easier to get the rest of it.

4. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

May 21, 2017
    Thanks to both of you. I will try the pliers / screwdriver method, first as I already have two more new bumpers, if that fails I will buy the urethane bumpers with the stud.

5. 77Z28454

77Z28454 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Ontario
  6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I did same,I let the spring push down on the arm when I jacked wheels of ground and a tug on tab with rag between pliers.

7. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

May 21, 2017
    Thank you for taking the time to help me.

8. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

May 21, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to help me

9. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

May 21, 2017
    Thanks for the advice

10. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

May 21, 2017
    Thank you