"Canadian Documented Car"....what's it mean?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by The Chucker, Mar 3, 2018.

1. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    A few years ago, I decided to register my car on the second generation Camaro registry. Didn't think much about it after that.

A couple of weeks ago, I was bored and decided to look up the website and my car's VIN (1Q87T3N174627) out of curiosity. I noticed that when I clicked on the "details" that correspond to my car's VIN#, there is a notation that says "ZR8 Canadian Documented Car".

I'm now a bit confused as, after some research here, the only reference to the ZR8 option is the white stripes. Am I correct that if my car truly is "Canadian Documented", there may be some documentation available somewhere? If so, how do I verify this? Is this significant or not really that big of a deal?

I know these are probably dumb questions to many of you. I'm not really a purist and into paperwork, but it'd be nice to have if it's available somewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or input!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. CanadianCopper

CanadianCopper New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    california
    Hi Chuck. I have Canadian documentation on my Z that was originally bought new in Quebec. Vintage Vehicle Services can run the report for you that shows all the original options that came on the car. Pretty cool. You can call George at 1-888-467-6853 or website is www.vintagevehicleservices.com. Report is about $140 US.
    Mark
    walden2.jpg

The Chucker likes this.
  3. The Chucker

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    Thanks Mark! I looked up the website and sent Mr. Zapora an email with my VIN. It would be fun to see if they have any information on it as I don't have much. You have a beautiful car by the way!

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hi,
    So were these cars built in Canada, and then sold in the US? Or were they made and only sold in Canada?
    Thanks

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    None of the Second Gen Camaros were built in Canada. At that time, Chevy had only two assembly lines making Camaros, Van Nuys, CA and Norwood, OH. Cars sent to Canada were documented by Canadian authorities so those cars can more easily be traced today.

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Ok, was wondering, as my shifter bracket/mounting plate has made in Canada on it HAA HA

7. The Chucker

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    Update: I heard back from George Zapora today and it turns out my car is not "Canadian" despite the information that was listed on the 2nd gen registry. Bummer.

8. CanadianCopper

CanadianCopper New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    california
    Chuck, you can also use the NCRS service that will provide original shipping dealer and date certificate. Just a thought if you don't already have it. Mark

9. The Chucker

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    Thanks Mark...looked into it and I'm out of luck there too. My car is a '73 and their records only go to '72. Life goes on..... :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018