Can you run new lifters, with old cam?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by william, Oct 22, 2006.

1. william

william Veteran Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Indiana,P.A. U.S.A.
    A buddy of mine is having some problems with his old 350 in his truck (Grumman van body on a C-30 chassis).
    I would go for a cam kit, but this would mean removing alot of front end sheetmetal to do a correct cam swap.
    Engine has 2 dead lifters for sure, plus the push rods were plugged with sludge.
    Could i get away with installing new lifters and pushrods, without hurting the original cam?
    Also if i run into a lifter stuck in the lifter bore, is there an easy way of getting it out?
    Thanks,
    :bowtie:

2. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

Yes you can run new lifters.

I have used vise grips and a prybar before to get them out. Not the best way, but it worked. I clamped on to the top of the lifter and pried up on the vise grips with the bar.

3. dui's Z

dui's Z Guest

If u run new lifters w/an old cam u might wear out the lifters prematurly also wear out the cam lobes worse then normal hurting performace. this could wreek havoic on your valvetrain. U can buy cam kits faily cheap through summit or p.a.w. and removing the cam makes it easier to remove stuck lifters.

4. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

The new lifters will break in with the old cam. There should be no problems. If that was the case everyone would throw away all their old solid and hydraulic flat tappet cams. There wouldn't be any used ones listed on Ebay, and half the performance shadetree engines out there would be ruined.

5. dui's Z

dui's Z Guest

well I was just going by what every performance mags states since I can remember. No offense.

6. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

None taken. The performance mags will try to get you to spend an extra buck whenever they can suck ass in front of their sponsors. They claim "big results" even when there are power losses. It is comical.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I can agree with that statement lluciano77.

Yes, you can put new flat type lifters on a old cam with no problems, just not the other way around.

8. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    What you can't do is use old lifters (flat tappet) with a new cam.
    You also can't use the old lifters on the old cam if they are not placed back onto the lobes they were originally on.

For the van, there might be a bigger problem that will make replacing the lifters pointless, but if that's the case you probably need to pull the engine, so just replacing the lifters is definitely the easy way to go for now.

9. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

The thing I would be concerned with is wether or not one of the cam lobes went flat.