Can You Guys Help w/my Silverado AC Clutch/Compressor?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by gordonquixote, Jul 16, 2011.

1. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    AC blew cold yesterday...today it only blown ambient air temp. The fuse is not blown, the blower motor works fine.

I paid to have freon checked (full), and there is power signal to the clutch.

The shop quoted me $805 to replace my compressor. When I asked if the clutch could be the problem, he stammered that regardless, I need to replace the compressor....kinda ticked me off.

So....a new compressor clutch is $135. Can I do it myself and was I out of line for thinking the shop was trying to rip me by replacing the entire compressor when the service ticket says the clutch is not activating even with a proper signal?

I also see on the interweb that the clutch offset has to be properly set for the clutch to engage...I wonder if a puller and an alignment is all I need? I'd rather replace the clutch myself for $135 than pay the shop $805 to 'replace everything to solve the problem'.

Thoughts/advice?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Power to the clutch with no engagement has to be a clutch problem, IMO.

I believe you can replace the clutch without removing the compressor or evacuating the system.

This instructions I found for a Tahoe should be the same for your Silverado.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6800606_remove-compressor-clutch-chevy-tahoe.html

Instructions for reassembly. ---> http://www.ehow.com/how_6656814_repair-ac-compressor-clutch.html
    Hopefully, you get better assembly instructions with your new clutch.

Here's your tool. (If AutoZone doesn't rent it.)

3. gordonquixote

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Wow...that sucked to say the least.

I pulled of the air plenum, shroud, and got the clutch apart to the inner snap ring and then realized that nothing was going to happen further without purging the freon and removing the compressor.

So I reassembled it all and am dropping it off at the shop.

Some things are better left to the pros....unfortunately.

Thanks anyway, Terry.

4. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Sorry about that, Gordo. :(
    Sometimes my beliefs are skewed. :screwup:

Was it a clearance issue with getting the snap ring out or what?

5. gordonquixote

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    The 2nd snap ring was up inside the housing. I was trying to use a flashlight and a mirror while holding the stupid snap ring pliers...lol...wasn't happening.

I tried it all kinds of ways...Jamie helped, the beagle supervised, still not even close. I had to get the outer ring off with using a long nail...the gap was wider than the pliers.

Oh well, I guess the instructions say the compressor has to be removed for a reason!

:)

6. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    That sucks.... :(

You couldn't unbolt the compressor from the brackets to get a better working angle while leaving the lines connected?

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    What year Gordo? The LSx motors are a PITA without a lift, not a lot of fun on the lift. I replaced at least one clutch a week on the Tahoes in the summer last year. But you're right you can replace the clutch without changing the compressor.

8. gordonquixote

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    2003. Im sitting here thinking about giving it another shot....maybe I can loosen the compressor but leave the hoses attached.

9. MrAzzhat2U

MrAzzhat2U Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Lewes DE
    Gordo,with the key on and engine off,turn on the A/C and tap the cluth face to see if it engages,if so,the coil is OK and the face of the clutch is worn.All you need to replace is the housing(pulley and bearing) and the clutch face.You already had that off!It's pretty rare to see the coil go bad!

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    GM sells the clutch and coil all together. Not sure about the after market stuff.

One thing to be absolutely sure about is the facing of the large snap ring. It's beveled and on goes on one way, so pay attention to how it comes off. If the clutch and coil are not rock tight when it's installed you did it wrong. It's pretty embarrassing to have the car come back a day later because the ring pops off and the whole assembly spun. :mad: