Can someone please give me some feedback?

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by mikeholtz28, Nov 14, 2015.

1. mikeholtz28

mikeholtz28 New Member

Nov 13, 2015
    athens, ga
    Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and just picked up a black on black 77 camaro. It is supposedly a true z28 (1Q87L&N544251). I'm looking for some advice from you experts!

1). I paid $5500 for it. Did I pay too much? What's it really worth?

2). Overall it is in pretty good shape. Only has 81,500 miles on it. Should I try to keep the miles down or can I drive it as much as I want with no worries with value? Are they worth more with less than 100k miles, etc?

3). It needs a paint job. I thought about just throwing on a cheap paint job for now. Will that necessarily hurt the value if I want to turn around and sell it pretty quick?

4). It's a four speed. However it has the centerpiece that would show the PNRDL if it were an automatic. When I had my mechanic look over it, he said it looked like some linkage was there for an automatic--but the actual shifter and such all appear as an original stick. Any thoughts on this? (I'm prob just showing my ignorance here)

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
    without pics it's kind of hard to determine worth..;)

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Sounds fair to me. I have seen thrashed rollers going for $1500. A Z28 4 speed, black on black and running is worth much more.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All Camaros had the window in the inst panel for the PRNDL indicator, on 4 speed cars it was blacked out. The linkage your mechanic saw is probably the back drive linkage. This turns part of the steering column to 1. give you reverse lights (switch is on bottom of column down at your feet, and I believe: 2. you had to put the car in reverse to get the key out of the ignition, the car then would be locked into reverse when parked.

5. mikeholtz28

mikeholtz28 New Member

Nov 13, 2015
    athens, ga
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
  7. mikeholtz28

mikeholtz28 New Member

Nov 13, 2015
    athens, ga
    Pics uploaded! Can I throw a cheap paint job on it and not hurt value?

8. mikeholtz28

mikeholtz28 New Member

Nov 13, 2015
    athens, ga
    Thank you!! That helps a lot. Do you think I can throw a cheap paint job on it without hurting value?

9. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

Welcome. Nice 77. I think you got a pretty good deal. I wouldn't worry about driving it and getting the miles up to 100,000. Its not going to go down in value. Go ahead and put a cheap paint job on it also.

10. Adam G

Adam G Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Welcome to the message board. Looks like a nice car. Drive it and enjoy it, don't worry about the miles.

I'd also put on a set of factory Z28 decals once you're figured out what you're doing with the paint.