Can anyone vouch for Skip White?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sandiego74, Jul 29, 2014.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    This is somewhat, but not really, relevant to my other thread. Idea is to build a reliable 383 ci with at least 400 hp on a decent budget.

I am sold on the AFR 195 heads, but for a whole lot less money, these combos from Skip White look pretty promising. Has anyone used his stuff, or stuff like it from ProComp? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NKB-200-ALU...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d15e21f95

Also, I am just going to get a retro-fit hydraulic roller cam kit. Which brand is best? I've read several articles on Crane and Comp, but Skip White uses Howards, and the supposed results look good.

These are the articles:
    http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/1404-383-stroker-engine-with-ls3-power/viewall.html
    http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...ker-upgrades-project-homewrecker/viewall.html

2. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can vouch for Howards, good people, good product, good price. Made in the USA, Im like 95% sure of that. The tech guys I have talked to were all well informed, educated on their products. Much better than all of the times I called comp cams.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I've seen afr heads pushed beyond their limits to maximize flow. 400 horse on a 383 will not be pushing any high performance head to its limit. I would go with a good solid aluminum head that's been ported and polished.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    their HEI distributors are awesome...I just bought another one a few days ago

5. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    I have a water pump and alternator of theres no issues

6. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    I can Vouch for the CRANE. It's worked awesome.
    I've had the same cam and lifters in 3 different blocks. Each engine performed up to the desired results. I got 11.16 @119 in my 71 Camaro with a 350 using the CRANE HR 119841

7. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    The Skip White heads don't look as nice as the AFR 195's, but I read their Ebay ad and they seem to be great heads for the money. They are almost 1/3 the price of the AFR's. I know you get what you pay for, but this deal is too good.

8. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I use his starters.Theyve been great so far.
    Ive also looked at his crate motors.The 505 specifically.For the money,with all those name brand parts,its a win for me.
    Skip is always having to go on different sites and defend himself.
    I haven't caught any posts on people that have gotten screwed from him though,just people bashing.
    I would by a crate from him if I was looking for one.IMO,its wise to find a local engine guy though,and disassemble any crate motor,and check it.
    Got screwed a little on my GM 454 HO.

9. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I did some reading on Pro-Comp heads since my 468 came with them. Here is what I deduced from my reading.

1. Procomp heads had casting problems in the mid 2000s and needed machine work to make right.

2. Pre-assembled Procomp heads had low quality valves, springs and hardware.

3. Lots of bad opinion of Procomp heads but nothing to really back it up, just rhetoric. Exception being the bad castings early on and the pre-assembled heads.

4. The people who spent big money on AFRs or others are pissed that there is a comparable product for A LOT LESS money so they bash the Procomps.

Its my understanding that Skip White assembles his own heads from pre-inspected Procomp castings with better hardware.

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    See my Sig...dyno proven HP and Torque with AFR heads on a 383....