Can anyone help me with some wiring?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by BradM, Feb 11, 2018.

1. BradM

BradM New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    1978 Z28.......need help with the correct location of where these wires from the relay are supposed to go. Someone has cut and added things and I can not get the new heater motor to work. Motor was tested before install and worked. This larger tan wire on end of relay has been cut and a wire added to it. It was under the dash and cut. It DOES go hot when the fan switch goes on, but I still can't find issue. There are two smaller Black wires on heater motor....Hot and Grnd, I'd guess. Hot wire goes from motor to relay, then back out of same relay terminal and back into harness. If you run 12v to that wire, the motor still won't run....We need help, please.
    Thank you!
    P_20180211_150940.jpg P_20180210_153612.jpg

2. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Birmingham,Alabama
    BradM likes this.
  3. BradM

BradM New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I was thinking the same, but the blower motor already has two wires connected to it......surely it doesn't use two Black wires for Grnd and this Tan wire for hot.......? I'm confused......

4. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Birmingham,Alabama
    I think it might be related to blower motor resistor that controls the fan speeds. That plug is underneath the heater box.

BradM likes this.
  5. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    my opinion, sounds like the black wire just needs to be grounded. Usually it is grounded at the firewall just to the drivers side of the AC case. 2 black wires are ground one of them should be attached to the blower, red is b+, blue goes to the blower switch + when in high speed, other blue should go to the blower resistor that is attached to the AC case. The relay should be screwed to the AC case also, real close to the resistor assy

BradM likes this.
  6. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    Look at the diagram. On the left just under center its exactly what you have.[​IMG]

BradM likes this.
  7. BradM

BradM New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I don't understand what that #63 circle is, that the Tan wire goes to from relay. That's the wire that was cut and laying there.. HVAC relay wiring..PNG

8. BradM

BradM New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Also......that double Black wire going back to the blower motor, shows Grnd, when I touch a powerprobe to it.......That has thrown me, since there is nowhere to hook a Hot, if both of those Black are a Grnd.......

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    The 63 is the hot feed attached to the blower motor from relay.

10. BradM

BradM New Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Thank you. So, these Blacks are going to Grnd and what is #150? HVAC relay wiring..PNG