Can 2K primer be thinned?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Flintstoneflyer, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Flintstoneflyer

Flintstoneflyer New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Flintstone Ga
    Can 2K primer be thinned down a little. I know it kind of defeats the purpose but I can not find anything on the tech sheet. Thanks, Jason.

2. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Selah, WA
    Yes it can

I know guyus that do it all the time. Just use the appropriate temp reducer, to thin it, they usually cut it about 10-20% depending on how much filling power they need.
    Be SURE to add your activator BEFORE you reduce it so's to keep the mix right on it.

3. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Yep, this is correct.

4. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Certainly it can be, just as prescribed.

I am a little curious though, why do you have the need.

I routinely thin it to spray it as epoxy sealer before base coat and spray with a1.4 tip. If THIS is what you are doing it can be really thinned as much as (or course depending on the tech sheet for the product, according to the manufacturer) 1:1 regular mix then as much as 1.5 so 1:1:1.5 this makes it really thin and probably pushes some to the limits as a primer but works good as a sealer (as long as I have been doing it). So HUGE assumption on my part BUT that is it for what it is worth.

Brent

5. Flintstoneflyer

Flintstoneflyer New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Flintstone Ga
    I want to use it as a sealer
    like you stated. The whole car has been shot with 2k primer and I want to shoot the nose and rear bumper with a thinned down 2k so that I have the same base color as the rest of the car. Thanks guys, Jason.

6. Matt's 73 z

Matt's 73 z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Mankato, MN. USA
    Is this an epoxy or a high build primer?

7. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Good pick up Matt,

I did not catch that. He says 2K so I am assuming it is primer/surfacer.

2K primer surfacer can ASLO be thinned, yes it defeats the purpose. If you used 2K on the rest of the car then the front and rear can get the same treatment. In fact, largely due to stone chips, the front often needs more coats, sanded afterwards of course, to take care of stone chips and other imperfections.

primers require build to work, thinning is not ideal IMO, defeats the purpose.

If the car were in my garage it would get primer surfacer on the remaining surfaces, sanded, repeated until smooth and straight THEN thinned epoxy primer as a SEALER 1 or 2 days before I was ready to spray. BUT that may not even be correct procedure, just what I do.

Certainly you DO want everything a uniform color BEFORE you apply color.

I hope that helps and others may have different advice.

Good luck, snap some pics,
    Brent