Camaro Z28 stripes

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Plant Engineer, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I've got to do the whole base first as my "stripes" are just clear with holographic gold flake over the base coat.

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    JM2cW.. You could paint the entire car as usual and then come back and do the stripes at a later date. That's how I'm doing mine. If you sand and buff just don't do the hood and trunk until the stripes are painted on.

I STRONGLY recommend getting a junk hood to practice on. There is no "take2" on this. The first time I did it ( practice hood) I left the masking on, waited for the stripe color to gas out then cleared and waited for the clear to tack up...big mistake! DOH!
    Apparently the hot ticket it to scuff the entire hood (trunk), spray enough stripe color to cover and then immediately remove the tape, let things gas out then clear coat the entire hood (trunk0. Allow to cure and then sand and buff.

Like I said, JM2cW.

3. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I have the booth for two consecutive days. Real booth. Bake ovens etc. Ive got to get this finished in two days even if I have to spray base before I take it in to the booth.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    You shouldn't have any problem in 2 days, as long as you have help and another set of eyes to help you lay out the stripes. They can drive you to distraction getting them right. Especially if you're going to radius the ends. I probably had as much time laying out the stripes and masking as I did spraying. Maybe the templates will help. I didn't use them, because of the cowl hood, and how narrow the original deck lid stripes are. With a cowl hood it makes the stripes wide in the rear of the hood, and it makes the rear stripes look too narrow (IMO).It will also depend on what base you use. Better base coat is faster and easier to use.
    Thank you. That's interesting...a laser. I wouldn't even know where to start, but that sounds like a great idea!

Plant Engineer likes this.
  5. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    those are 1970 specific stripe pattern, the other years are different ...

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    12 13 (10).JPG
    We did this same thing. After we removed the spoiler, we did continue the stripe under the spoiler a bit. I put rubber sinc washers between the spoiler and the deck lid to keep water from collecting. I did the same with the hood louvres on wife's '68 SS Nova. The hood on those actually rusts out quick.

7. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    So I ended up painting the trunk and hood last weekend. I'll let it cure fully, bolt on the painted spoiler center and sand next week and lay the stripes out , spray those and clear a couple of coats. Then sand and paint the rest of the car and clear it all.
    [​IMG]

xten and Smokey15 like this.