Camaro Z28 stripes

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Plant Engineer, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I'm painting my car at the end of next month and I'd like to lay down the stripes at that time. Ive never done the striping thing before . It occured to me the other day that the stencil kit I got from Classic Industries MIGHT not be the right one for use with a cowl hood but from what I can tell no one actually offers a stencil kit for use with a cowl hood.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1971/chevrolet/camaro/parts/80005.html

I called up Classic Industries and they said its not the right kit for a cowl hood and of course they don't have one for a cowl hood.

OK. What do I do now?

Oh, and I'm painting everything in 2 days. Kind of lost on the process . Paint, clear, put spoiler on , stencil , paint stripes, clear?

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    We used a kit from Stencils & Stripes on my wife's '71 with cowl hood. We just centered it and ran it as if the cowl wasn't there.
    12 13 (7).JPG

3. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Did you stripe an existing paint job or do it all at once? Looks good BTW

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Thank You. All at once. Then cleared over it all.

5. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    How did you do the spoiler and under?

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Contact Stencils & Stripes fo a kit, That is what I used on my 1979 Z-28 RS 130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I'd do the same thing Smokey did. It came out awesome

8. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    OK. So part of my question is...

When I pull into the paint booth I will be pulling in a car that is 100% covered in red urethane primer. I want the paint to be under the spoiler too so the water doesnt collect up in the primer and rot the trunk lid and quarters so I can't bolt it down ahead of time. I'm assuming I need to paint the trunk lid and the back of the quarters with base, clear them, allow it to dry and then bolt the spoiler sections down , paint the car, give it a shot of clear, dry and then the next day come in and lay out the stripes , paint the stripes and then clear over everything once the stripes have set up enough to pull the stencils off.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    stripes_hood_dim.jpg Camaro cleaned up 003.JPG I painted my stripe color first on the car and spoiler. Then bolted the spoiler down, laid out the stripes,masked the stripes and took the spoiler back off. Then based the car, unmasked the stripes and cleared it. I sort of used assembly manual measurements for the cowl hood. I used the dimensions for the center void and the measurements on the outside accent stripes. I winged the rest. We did what we thought would look good.

10. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    And it does look good !, When I did mine, I used a laser to align the stripes down the hood, worked for me

xten likes this.