camaro stolen

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Jacobsoup, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    The guy who had your car is either the crook or he he has to give up who he bought the car from . Either way he is alot of trouble . The way you described the car it has stolen written all over it. He lied about fixing it up and most everything else, I'll bet you, even if he didn't actually steal it , he at least knew it was hot and probally knows the villians.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Jacobsoup

Jacobsoup Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    ya i am going to contact the investigators tomorrow to see whats up with that. if he was the one that stole it he knows where im located. is anyone running a different type of gps other than lojack. i want to do some antitheft work right now, but i just really cant afford it.

3. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    The fact that he said he did all the work himself concerned me too, but lets be honest, how many fellas at car shows and even/especially here over credit themselves in how much they actually did themselves?

4. Odin

Odin Member

Sep 15, 2003
    You can put in a hidden toggle switch somewhere to kill power to the starter for very little money. Put it in the circuit right before the starter and they would have to rollback it or jump the starter with wire to get it running. A separate switch somewhere else could be used to disconnect distributor power. Then they'd have at least two hoops to jump through.

5. bnelson

bnelson Member

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos,Texas
    Trunk mount battery with a disconnect and a hidden toggle switch. And Dogs if at all possible.

I have an inexpensive push on / push off button switch that is hidden beneath the seat upholstery down towards the lower LH seat base. Just back from where the seat control would be for on a new car. You can't see it at all but you can feel it if you know where to put your finger. Low tech and cheap.

I also have a pair of inexpensive security cameras set up with motion sensors and motion sensor lights as well. Hell, they even have hidden cameras that look and operate as flood lights. Sends the signal right down the wires for the lights so there is no need to run camera cable.

Where I live is fairly rural but it's close to an area where a high number of illegal immigrants live and yes, crime does follow them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. Lunarpancake

Lunarpancake Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2011
    NJ
    grats on getting it back.

7. bluebetsy02

bluebetsy02 Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Great on getting the Camaro back. You should big time thank the police who went outta their way to give you a hand.. Now here is an idea / suggestion: before you either BUY or SELL a car or PARTS, take pictures and store them on your computer until the deal is over and done with.. Lotta sweet-talking people with new ways and means of separating you and your $$$.
    Toggle switch(es) are a must in this day 'n age. Keep the mouth shut where you are placing them..
    Take care and happy for you!!
    T.

8. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Klein Texas
    Ditto on the congrats

I have a similar story about my 1965 Nova Super Sport. The cops were just as uninterested as your's. They actually told me to "forget about it"

Today there's a guy in Sweden (that post on another car forum) with a car that might me mine. The chrome pieces he is missing I have in the garage. If the car is indeed overseas now, I know I can't get it back. But this guy won't respond to my VIN query's so I'm left hanging.

9. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is the guy you got it back from in jail?

10. bnelson

bnelson Member

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos,Texas

If you have more than a reasonable suspicion that the car is yours contact the FBI and tell them of your suspicions and supply them with every shred of evidence you have. They are the ones who investigate smuggling rings and all it takes is one tip like this to shake the tree.

Seriously, If you think that's your car, file a report. There's an FBI field office in every major city.

http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field

Interpol investigates world wide car smuggling
    http://www.interpol.int/Crime-areas/Vehicle-crime/Vehicle-crime

I know that if I had serious concerns and thought that it was my car, I'd look into it.

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE BY LOOKING INTO IT!