Camaro RS LS1 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by thesalboy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
  2. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Member

Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    Looks great

3. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Looking better every day! Thanks!!

Trunk pan and dropoffs are on the car!!!!!!!!

I took Scott51's advice and revised the outside flanges of the trunk pan where they meet the dropoffs - pounded them flat then re-bent them with pliers, finishing the edge with hammer and dolly. Worked like a charm!

I realized that I hadn't back-primed the bottom of the pan where the frame rails run, so I mixed up some primer and brushed it on - worked fine.

I was just able to get to the plug welds for the trunk dropoffs, though it was a PITA. I drilled my holes a little high, worried about not having much metal left after revising the pan flange. For good measure, I also tacked on top of each plug on the topside.

Now for hours of weld grinding fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carolina Man likes this.
  4. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Ground all my welds down. Only had to touch up a few welds. Prepped bumper braces by drilling oversize (3/8" vs. usual 1/4") holes and drilling into the trunk pan to expose some of the frame rail underneath. Don't ask me why the holes in AMD's own bumper braces don't line up with the holes in AMD's own trunk pan (AMD tail panel holes didn't line up with either set of holes either). I got the braces lower by maybe 3/16" hammering on them, and assume I will just cut the holes into an oval opening at the end. Moving on to dash repair then prep everything for priming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]