Camaro RS LS1 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by thesalboy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Trunk floor extensions / dropoffs arrived today, with these doodads - one for each side. AMD describes it as a "tail panel brace which goes from the tail panel to the trunk floor extension." Never seen or heard of it. Anyone got any pics of one of these installed?

Google image no help - it confuses it with the trunk latch support. Camaro Assembly Manual doesn't have anything about them. Is the Fisher manual that covers all GM worth getting? Is there a Chevy or Camaro-only Fisher manual? Not seeing any.

[​IMG]

2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I will try to get a pic of mine today and post it tomorrow. Those are toward the out edge.

Are you planning to change out the rear frame rails?

3. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Thanks Robert!

I thought very hard about changing the frame rails to 70-73 but it makes the job so much bigger I was hoping to avoid having to do it. I've also heard that the frame rails that are available are not the best quality. I read about a shop that had a bear of a time with them (brand unknown) due to them being twisted - I'm just a guy in a garage. AMD does not offer them, and I think OER/CI may be the only option.

I believe I will have to fab extensions to meet the cross rail and tail panel, but think otherwise there won't be enough difference between the 70-73 and 74+ rails to cause problems. But I'll have to find out when the trunk floor gets here.

I'm also not clear on how the 70-73 rails terminate and allow for connection to the bumper brackets (at least I assume they connect to the bumper brackets). This thread has the best pics I can find comparing the rails. Need to look for more pics showing exactly how the 70-73 rails terminate and connect to the bumper brackets. This is the best thread I've found on rolling back, but it doesn't address this detail.

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Ok here is part of the answer you are looking for. Unlike the 74-81 the bumper brackets have to be bolted to the bumper before installation. Then the studs on the bumper bracket goes though the tail panel and bolts to the frame rail on the inside of the trunk.

Do you have a set of bumper brackets for the 70-72 camaro.

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Yes, repops from OER/CI. Still in the box. I'll take a closer look once the trunk floor arrives.

I will say that in removing the 74 bumper I wish I'd just unbolted the "brackets" from the frame rails, rather than trying every other bolt first, cursing all the way, ultimately unable to separate the bumper from the sub-structure! The 74 bumpers and other 74 stuff not need given the roll back are for sale BTW.

Thanks again Robert!

6. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Here's a guess at where the tail panel brace goes...? Note also that AMD, consistent with factory, does not thread tail light housing studs. I"ll cut them with a die rather than relying on self-threading nuts, I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    You have your hands full. Welcom and good luck.

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    What's wrong with this picture?

[​IMG]

AMD gets an F on packing the trunk pan. It came in a huge box with just a thin layer of bubble tape around it. Nothing securing it to the box. It bounced around in there like the ball in a paint rattle can. Oh well, I guess it's nothing a little hammer and dolly and maybe some weld bead can't fix.

[​IMG]

9. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    welcome to the 2nd gen family ..I too bought AMD cause I heard they where the best make sure you look at the ends where they meet the quarters mine was miss stamped but I dealt with it ..hope you have the inner tail ? also have to rework the tail lights to fit

10. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Welcome back you mean! :) Living a 30 year old dream!!!

Yes, the outside ends of the trunk pan floor look a bit off, maybe because of shipping, maybe not, but either way...more hammer and dolly.

In addition to the trunk floor, which came with separate bumper braces, I have all the rear end sheet metal - crossrail, crossrail extensions, dropoffs, dropoff extensions (still not sure if I have their placement right - see post #15), tail panel, full quarters, bumper, bumper brackets. It's actually all here now! (I think there are some filler panels I still need to get.) Now to find time to work on it...

Since this is a 74 conversion, I have to buy taillights - probably LED but if not repop. I'm sure that means they will go right in, right?! :D

Twisted72 and brooksman9 like this.