Camaro RS LS1 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by thesalboy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    When I was 16, I had a 1975 Camaro Rally Sport. My dad wouldn't let me swap the 4BBL from our 1977 Olds 88 from its 350 Chevy to my Camaro, so I didn't do much work on it other than cosmetics. It was dog slow, but I loved it right up until the day I sold it. I got a ticket delivering it to its new owner.
    [​IMG]

2. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Many years later, I’ve built and raced cars - BMWs. (I can't link yet, but check out Faustest dot com if you're interested in my 24 Hours of LeMons team.)

A friend picked up an early 280Z and found a screaming deal on a totaled 2006 GTO, and decided on an LS2 swap. I got jealous and picked up an LS1 on craigslist, intending to build it and swap it into a BMW.

[​IMG]

Off to the machine shop! Disassembly revealed a head gasket issue between #1 and #3, but the block and heads have since checked out OK. Crank just needed to be ground .010" on main and rod journals.

[​IMG]

3. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Over beers, it was decided that I would be much happier with that LS1 in a streetable car. A week later, I picked up a 1974 Camaro. Originally a base inline 6 auto in lime yellow on green, it had been painted red on black.
    [​IMG]

4. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    I'd always preferred the look of the 70-73, so I decided to roll the car back. It had poorly repaired rear damage, so I cut the entire back end off. The front end is straight and there's very little rust given the age of the car. The dash is a major exception, but still not too bad. The rust pics I've seen on this site – OH MAN!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    I placed my first AMD sheetmetal order last week and parts are starting to arrive...

6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Looks like a great project! Keep us posted with lots of pics!

7. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Neat project, going to be wicked fast. Sound awesomely too.!

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    A while back I picked up a tail panel for $48 (including tax!) from a local outfit that I've since learned (from others on this site) does not, shall we say, provide the best parts or service. It was back when I was considering doing this all on the cheap, was still unsure of how bad the damage/poor repair was, and was still unsure of exactly how big of a job the roll-back was going to be.

AMD brags about how much better their stuff is, and I've seen others sing their praises. While it may not be a fair fight, there is no comparison between their stuff and whatever I got before. The AMD panel lines are so much more crisp. The lines on the other panel aren't even straight!

Quarter panels each came in a big box and were further protected with excellent cardboard packing that allows you to undo it, check the panel, then do it back up for storage.

Full trunk floor on the way. And yes, I paid out the wazoo for shipping, and it so won't be the last time on this project!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Member

Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    Welcome great project