Camaro Build Sheet - where to get a new one?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by sbca96, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    So far I have found 3 build sheets in the 78 Camaro, one above the fuel tank,
    one under the drivers seat, and one behind the rear seat ... none of which are
    in good enough condition to read everything - nor frame.

I assume there is a source to buy original looking repops of this, by using the
    VIN to decode options. Anyone had a place they are happy with the results?

I wanted to get one for our 78 Project, and a friend has a 1968 Camaro RS.

Tom

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Unless your original is fully readable, any reproduction won't be accurate. You can't get an authentic one made from the VIN, the Cowl Tag, or any other source.
    GM can provide you a copy of the dealer invoice for your 78, but nothing like that exists for earlier Camaros. Even the dealer invoice will not show all the assembly codes that the build sheet had.

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Wow. Thats amazing. I can order a copy of the build sheet for my Studebaker
    Avanti from the source that picked up all the factory records in 1966. I guess
    I got spoiled with that kind of resource and assumed a huge operation like GM
    would be the same way.

My neighbor has a '68 and told me before that there is no way to know what
    it came with except the "clues", that sounded like he was selling snake oil. It
    makes sense now how people can get scammed with COPO Camaros that turn
    out to be just rebuilt straight 6 models.

Tom

4. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Try this place....

http://www.window-sticker.com/

My brother in law had them make up some window stickers for his all original 79 Vette and his father's all original 76 Camaro, yes they both have original paint too!!!

5. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2011
    cape may county, n.j.
    3 build sheets? Wow! I found none in mine- under seats, behind back cushion, have not lowered tank. I e-mailed the GM site that was on here awhile back but got no response. Did I have the correct one? Does gm have the build sheets for '77's? I may be wrong, but if your car is complete, you have 3 sheets- can you check other cars sheets and fill in what codes are missing for a repro sheet?

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
  7. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2011
    cape may county, n.j.
    Thanks for the info- mine was not shipped to Canada- wish I had the sheet. Window sticker was tossed by selling dealer. Still have the hand-written order form with options.

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    The '78 has always been in California, and was built at the GM plant here. The
    one above the gas tank was actually in the best condition except they used a
    tar of some kind to adhere it to the underside of the trunk floor, right at the
    rubber insulator where the strap runs under the tank on the drivers side. That
    tar wasnt nice to the paper where it made contact. It also tore and that area
    stayed stuck to the underside of the trunk floor. So take your time.

Tom

9. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    I've found 2 so far in my 79. We'll see when I drop the tank if I get 3.

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Most if not all of the cars built in Norwood Ohio will not have a build sheet. Almost all the cars build in Van Nuys(also called LA) California will have them. They built Camaros in every year in Norwood,but the Van Nuys cars were only built in 1970,then again in 1976? thru 1981. All 71 thru 75? Camaros were built in Norwood and will have no build sheets. I have one gas tank sheet from my Van Nuys built 79,and it was very tattered.