Camaro '70 Z28 body and paint : full of pics.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Kamaro, Oct 3, 2017.

1. BowHunter

BowHunter Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Wappapello Mo, USA
    Kamaro Looks like you have it going your way! He's doing good work looks like!

By the way what are the chances of getting a license plate from over there could use it for my shop decorations??

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Yep, see the "budget build" now. That explains things. Time is money and gutting the car takes a lot of time.
    Any decisions on the color or are you staying orange? Looks like originally Citrus Green? Nice project and I bet a rare car over there. What is the history of it. Always curious how these cars get over to foreign lands.

3. Kamaro

Kamaro Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Doha
    The filler panel was already removed and been treated against rust, amazingly it was rust free!

Well, honestly, I'm trying to control the budget as much as I can. I did removed all the interior except the dash when I handed the car to them, you'll see in the coming pics that they replaced both sides of the floor pans.

Sure I can send you one, if I find a plate that I wont use I'll let you know, you can just pay for the shipping (I assume it will a bit expensive, maybe $30-$40).

The car was imported from Georgia years ago, Its a real Z28 but it was stolen at one time and gutted out. The original color of the car was Classic Copper (67) and white stripes with Sandalwood interior. Judging from the many paint layers, we think that it was painted hugger orange, then metallic blue, then hugger orange again, I will stick with the hugger orange. I only saw one other hugger orange early second gen here in Doha, you don't get to see many of old American cars though.

4. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    What year did the car start as? Thread title says 70. The reason I ask is that the car looks like a factory AC car and from 1970 to 1972 Z28's could not be had with AC. This is not something that could easily be added as the firewall is completely different on an AC car. It is possible to cut and weld the firewall, change dashes and controls etc but isn't usual. So you think this was done?

5. Kamaro

Kamaro Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Doha
    The firewall has been cut and replaced with a one with a/c cut-outs, the welding line is still visible, ans the fron RS nose has been replaced with components from a '73 RS car, it did started its life as a '70 Z, but as I said, the car was gutted so badly when it was stolen. The pieces that are left that were unique to a '70 were the outer door handles and some of the lower dash components and the original fuel tank.

6. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Is the Trim Tag on the cowl still there? If so please post a photo. Is the VIN tag still there? We like data on old Z28’s

7. Kamaro

Kamaro Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Doha
    yes the trim tag is still there, I will take a photo of it along with the VIN in my next visit to the garage.

8. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    I don't recognize the rear speaker shelf !

9. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Me either. Not sure how much of it is still original 1970.