Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Then I started on the fuel lines. Put on the pump and filters before and after. Somebody had already built a collector for the fuel tank under the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed new radiator which I bought from a friend, but I think I will need a bigger one.. :(
    [​IMG]

I mounted the slicks on the wheels. Will need spacers.
    [​IMG]

I changed the gaskets on the carburetor, because it leaked a little on the testbench.

[​IMG]

Carburetor in. At this point I forgot to install the regulator. The original wiper motor and heater radiator were smashed so I bought the wiper motor used and installed an old Opel heater radiator which I had lying around.

[​IMG]

Went to a hydraulics shop to build new hoses for the power steering
    [​IMG]

Made a spacer myself, but it was too big a mess compared to the price of spacers on ebay, so ended up ordering the spacers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spacer and adapter
    [​IMG]

2. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Regulator in
    [​IMG]

Started on the wiring. I used a Jegs universal wiring harness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mocking up the dash
    [​IMG]

Made a bracket for the parking brake cables
    [​IMG]

Had to lenghten the front end of the parking brake cable because this has 3gen discs on the back and 3gen brake cables were a bit short.
    [​IMG]

Installed some mesh to protect the radiator (I later painted it black)
    [​IMG]

Installed new headlights (in the middle)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hated the black around the lights
    [​IMG]

Dash starting to be plugged in
    [​IMG]

3. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I changed the valve cover gaskets and did all kinds of little things to get the car ready to start. Then it was time to start the car for the very first time!

[youtube]DkpNB65K8zo[/youtube]

After that I thought it would be possible to get it driveable before the ice melts.

4. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I quickly spray painted around the headlights.
    [​IMG]
    Much better!

My friend also helped me install the windshield.

Then I started preparing the duallys. I had to drill a bigger center hole and a second bolt pattern in because I put in so long wheel studs, they will come trough the adapters when there are no spacers used. I had to use the adaptors because I didnt have wheels with right bolt pattern for the car, but had wheels with the right bolt pattern for the adapters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the outer wheels I cut the center off.
    [​IMG]

Mocking it up
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  5. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    At this point I had been in a real rush to get it done, because the weather had changed and the forecast said that the following saturday would likely be the last possible day on the track.

I installed the seats and the harnesses
    [​IMG]

Finished the dash
    [​IMG]

Installed a new brake line to the rear and new calipers on every corner since I didn´t have time to rebuild the old ones, but couldn´t bleed the rear. (I later found out why)
    [​IMG]

Welded up the duallys
    [​IMG]

6. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Fuck.

Wrote a long story here, but it accidentally got deleted before I posted it.

Long story short. There were lots of little things to do before getting it to the track. I was up until 2am (like many nights before that) but next day it was track day! You already know about that day (the first post). I had some first ride issues like melting the spark plugs, having to adjust the clutch pedal, reinforcing the bracket for the power steering and some other little things. Luckily I came prepared and got all of those things temporarily fixed on the track. It was sure nice to get to drive the thing atlast! :)

[​IMG]

After that I took a little breather. The forecast was right and the track was flooded the next day. I didn´t touch the car until last weekend.

7. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Last weekend I returned the wheels I loaned to drive the car to the track and since I didn´t have 4 street tires yet I put the racing slicks on. I then started on the rear wing because the aluminum plate I was going to make it from took too much space from the garage. I had found a rather big 5mm aluminum plate from the metal bin, only it was a little bent, but bending the wing part the other way would make it straight.

[​IMG]

Mocking the wing up
    [​IMG]

No fancy tools needed
    [​IMG]

Some adjustment range
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other day I went in the garage for a quickie and put some diagonal struts. No it´s very firm.
    [​IMG]

8. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    So now you are up to date on this one :)

I will post updates as I get something done.

To do list includes:
    -bleeding rear brakes
    -making new side windows out of polycarbonate
    -all the little things found at the track
    -street tyres
    -paint

9. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    This build is very detailed, very nice project man! Good luck with it!

10. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I had all kinds of trouble with the rear brakes, but now they seem to work.

I also changed the power steering pump because it was leaking. Now I have to replace the pressure hose also, because the fittings are different.

Yesterday i made new side windows out of polycarbonate. Now I am able to see trough them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next week I try to get tires for it and take the car to its yearly tech inspection to make it street legal again for the first time in 10 years!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016