Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

  1. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I then drew some CAD drawings for the header flanges and had them CNC plasma cut.

    [​IMG]

    The holes were now a bit too big, because I used just some header flange dimensions of rectangular ports I could find on the internet. That´s actually not a bad thing because it should have more of a scavenging effect.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I cut off the original flanges and made some conversion bits from rectangular to round tube

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then i tacked them on
    [​IMG]

    and welded through
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  3. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Then I fabricated the clutch pedal. I wanted to use a cable, because it was cheaper and easier, allthough I had to cut a hole in the bellhousing and the clutch operating lever.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    After I had the rust repairs and the modifications to the body done, I painted the rollcage and the interior

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  5. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Then I started fabricating the front.

    I made a template out of paper and some steel wire. I used the original grille upside down as a reference point. I´m planning on getting another one and putting them on top of each other.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I then copied it to sheet metal
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    And started bending with my knee and thumbs (i dont have any sheet metal tools except a grinder, some pliers and a hammer)
    [​IMG]

    Mocked up
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I also welded the holes for the side lamps, because they are not mandatory here in Finland

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I fabricated a lift plate to lift the engine

    [​IMG]

    And sprayed some under chassis protection on the bottom of the car
    [​IMG]

    There were no gas tank in the car when I bought it, but luckily my friend had one he didn´t use so he gave it to me. I installed the tank and put some aluminium between the pipes and the tank for some heat protection.

    [​IMG]

    After that I changed the transmission oil and started to change the rear differential oil, but had to open the rear up, because there were metal in the oil. It turned out the pressure plate on the right side of the diff had broken and the clutch plates were making a mess in the housing.

    [​IMG]

    After that I called it quits for some time, because we were just starting to build our house with my wife. I had been building this in my dads garage until this point. I put some wheels on it, spray painted it mostly yellow to get me on good mood and for it to not rust while in storage.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    After that, it was of to my friends barn for the next two years. In the meantime, I would build the house and my own garage so I could finish the build there! :)
     
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    This is from the day we went and got it back from the barn

    [​IMG]

    And in my own garage for the first time :)
    [​IMG]
     
  8. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I still had little time to build the car. The garage was not 100% complete. The yard and the terrace needed to be done and we´ve just had our second daughter. But every now and then I got to go to the garage and continued on the Camaro.

    I took apart the rear end
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    While waiting for new parts to arrive, I made some wide wheels (for off the road use only ofcourse ;) )
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  9. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    New parts for the rear arrived
    [​IMG]

    I made this simple tool (found something similar on the internet) to squeeze the plates to get the spider gears in and the little shims behind those.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Put some 295/50-15 on the wheels
    [youtube]m_HPH8oPWdw[/youtube]

    Will need fender flares :D
    [​IMG]

    Made some room for the front tires to turn
    [​IMG]

    And started to do the fender flares
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    These are actually stainless steel, because I just happened to find suitable width piece from the garbage steel pile.
    [​IMG]

    Fuzzy pics, because my phone camera lens was scratched. I replaced the lens after these pics.
    [​IMG]
     
  10. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    119
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I bought some 18" wheels to put my racing slicks on. I got the slicks used from a friend of mine that races on the road course.

    [​IMG]

    The wheels are a bit too narrow (10,5") for the tires, but I couldn´t afford wider wheels. These were very cheap used. I needed to order some adapters because these are the wrong bolt pattern and some spacers because the backspacing is wrong.
     

Share This Page