Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

  1. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I roughly pulled out the big dents with a pull hammer

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The roof was so badly damaged, I cut a part off and made a new one from sheet metal, but I couldn´t find pics.
     
  2. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    The rear bumper was so heavy, I decided to do the rear end out of sheet metal

    [​IMG]

    I then put on some rust preventing primer and filler on the bare spots so it wouldn ´t rust in the cold, moist garage it was in.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  3. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Here is the engine and the TH-400 that came with it. Even though it was junk, these big blocks are really expensive here in Finland. This motor didn´t turn all the way over (the seller told me on the phone it would) and I still had to pay 900€ for it and it was still by far the cheapest big block I could find.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    One cylinder had had water in it and was corroded pretty bad.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    After some honing it still looked bad

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  4. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I had the block bored and started the assembly with new bearings

    [​IMG]

    Crank
    [​IMG]

    Powerforged pistons
    [​IMG]

    New more agressive cam (still flat tappet tough)
    [​IMG]

    Ready to install heads
    [​IMG]

    Heads on
    [​IMG]
     
  5. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I was going to use roller rockers, but the Procomp heads are so poor quality the studs werent aligned properly, so i had to change to roller tip rockers.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    It was quite a job to get the valvetrain working correctly. I had to modify the guideplates to get enough adjustment in.
    [​IMG]

    And my tools were crap! :D
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    New stronger timing chain
    [​IMG]

    I had to modify the timing chain cover because the new chain was thicker
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  7. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    RPM airgap on
    [​IMG]

    Magnet to oil pan to collect inpurities:
    [​IMG]

    Oilpan and valvecovers on
    [​IMG]
     
  8. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Since the 454 is externally balanced and there were no flywheels with the correct balance, I ordered an external balancer plate. I had to modify it a bit to make it fit

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Waterpump and damper installed
    [​IMG]

    Accessories
    [​IMG]

    I later found out I had to move the accessories a bit more to fit the enginebay
     
  9. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I bought some old racing seats for the Camaro
    [​IMG]

    They were dirty as hell so I tore them apart and washed them
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  10. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I put the engine to a test stand so I could run the cam in and see if there were any major problems

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Here is the video of the very first startup:

    [youtube]1oUO_KWXlPw[/youtube]
     
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

Share This Page