Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

  1. 2nd gen man

    2nd gen man Veteran Member

    991
    6
    Nov 28, 2010
    michigan
    just cool,,,,,
    Have Fun with your Build
     
  2. Twisted_Metal

    Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

    25,260
    284
    Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    That look like a whole lot of fun! :D

    Seems to handle pretty well with those tires/wheels!
     
  3. David79Z28

    David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,263
    32
    Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Awesome car. Welcome to the site.
     
  4. 70SSRS350

    70SSRS350 Veteran Member

    392
    0
    Jul 30, 2010
    ITALY
    Awesome video!
    Welcome to the forum!
     
  5. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks guys!

    The car handles very well indeed. The tires worked out great, they had good traction and they held up great.

    I´m building this car to something to have fun with and not worry too much about scratching the paint job (allthough I am planning on painting it).

    I´m going to hit the rallycross tracks, road course tracks, 1/4 mile maybe the 1 mile and of course the cruising nights and our local riverside cafe with it :)

    That day in the ice road track was the very first time this car was driven. I actually pushed the car out of the garage before starting and putting it into gear just to be safe! :D
     
  6. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Some info about the car:

    It´s a -75, it had the paperwork allready done for the 454 thats why I chose the big block, otherwise I would have gone the LS way or the small block.

    It has a T-56 6-speed transmission out of a -97 LT1 Camaro. I didn´t know it was a pull type clutch when I bought the tranny (this is my first American car) so the flywheel and clutch options were quite limited with the big block, but RAM Clutches had parts that fit straight up.

    The engine is from a Suburban and it was all rusted up inside so I had to do the engine from ground up. The block is a gen 6 with 4-bolt mains and only the crank and the rods are from the old engine. I had to renew everything else. I went for ProComp aluminium heads and Edelbrock aluminium intake manifold to save some (a LOT) weight. The engine is fed by an 850 double pumper.

    There were a lot of rust repairs to be done and while doing those I also welded some sub frame connectors.

    The car allready had a rollcage in it, but sadly it´s not spec, so I can´t do any real racing with it and since this will be mainly a sreet car and just to have fun, it would have been too much work to redo it to spec.

    The rear axle is a Dana 44 that came with the car, but the limited slip differential needed repairing. The caltracks were also allready there as were the rear disc brakes.
     
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    This is how the car looked like when it came to my possession. The roof was smashed in with the windshield and it had no interior, no engine, no transmission, no driveshaft and not even a steering wheel :D

    [​IMG]
     
  8. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Here is the roof. I heard it was smashed with a boomlift while trying to lift the car:

    [​IMG]

    The right rear fender was dent:

    [​IMG]

    Rust:

    [​IMG]

    The original spoiler had been torn off:

    [​IMG]

    Poor picture of more rust:

    [​IMG]
     
  9. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Then repairing some rust:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  10. pecu_83

    pecu_83 Veteran Member

    117
    6
    Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    There were a lot of more rust repairing. I seem to have lost many of the old pictures.

    I cut away the rear floors because they were rusted and because they went down too low under the car. Then I made some subframe connectors using some square tubing I found.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page