Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I had a chat with a more experienced chevrolet big block builder, and he thought I still had too weak valve springs. I found a set that should fit the bill. Set of allmost new Edelbrock #5745 springs. With those, I should have 130lbs of seat pressure and 330lbs of open pressure. I started to change the valve springs again and I´m glad I did. Number 8 cylinder´s exhaust pushrod was eating it´s way trough the guide, so I have to replace atleast 1 guide. I think I should replace them all, but aligning them is a motherfucker. All the others still looked good, but that 1 giving up sure doesn´t raise my confidence on the others.

[​IMG]

2. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I took out the old guides while waiting for new ones to arrive. All the exhaust pushrods had touched the bottom of the guide. They have propably been very close earlier and now with more preload on the lifters, they have touched a little.

[​IMG]

As I looked for other parts I found the guides that came with the heads. They have a much deeper fork so they wouldn´t have the same problem, but the rockers won´t align with the valves with them.

[​IMG]

This is how far off they are, and why I had to get the adjustable ones.

[​IMG]

Then I found the original oil cooler fittings that I thought I´d lost.

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell what is the thread on those black fittings? This engine supposedly used to be in a nineties Suburban so they might be metric? I think I need to buy a thread pitch gauge just to be sure. Or I´ll just use those and have a hydraulics shop make me a couple of short tubes to connect my hoses to.