Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I had a chat with a more experienced chevrolet big block builder, and he thought I still had too weak valve springs. I found a set that should fit the bill. Set of allmost new Edelbrock #5745 springs. With those, I should have 130lbs of seat pressure and 330lbs of open pressure. I started to change the valve springs again and I´m glad I did. Number 8 cylinder´s exhaust pushrod was eating it´s way trough the guide, so I have to replace atleast 1 guide. I think I should replace them all, but aligning them is a motherfucker. All the others still looked good, but that 1 giving up sure doesn´t raise my confidence on the others.

[​IMG]

2. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I took out the old guides while waiting for new ones to arrive. All the exhaust pushrods had touched the bottom of the guide. They have propably been very close earlier and now with more preload on the lifters, they have touched a little.

[​IMG]

As I looked for other parts I found the guides that came with the heads. They have a much deeper fork so they wouldn´t have the same problem, but the rockers won´t align with the valves with them.

[​IMG]

This is how far off they are, and why I had to get the adjustable ones.

[​IMG]

Then I found the original oil cooler fittings that I thought I´d lost.

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell what is the thread on those black fittings? This engine supposedly used to be in a nineties Suburban so they might be metric? I think I need to buy a thread pitch gauge just to be sure. Or I´ll just use those and have a hydraulics shop make me a couple of short tubes to connect my hoses to.

3. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Ok guys. Time to give you a quick update.

Got parts for oil cooler fittings:
    [​IMG]

Installed the cooler

[​IMG]

Put some rubber around the holes

[​IMG]

It was quite a tight fit, but got it made

[​IMG]

New guides clear the pushrods well.

[​IMG]

I fabbed a special tool for installing the new guides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I stripped a thread for a stud. :(

I had my friend drill and tap me a M16 bolt with a 7/16UNC thread inside.

[​IMG]

I made a guide so I would get the new hole true.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I covered everything with cloths and put a vacuum cleaner near the hole

[​IMG]

I drilled and tapped an M16 thread in the head and installed my thread insert with Loctite 638.

[​IMG]

I made a place for the oil temp sensor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the temp sensor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was off to the biggest Finnish auto show. The American Car Show. (some pictures: https://hifk.pictures.fi/kuvat/Misc/Motors/ACS2018/)

[​IMG]

And some burnouts for the first of May celebration:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Nice work. That's one hell of a car show. Cool vids too. You got your money's worth out of that rev limiter!

pecu_83 likes this.
  5. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks. I sure like to rev it !:)

Here's a more thorough gallery of the show: https://makejalava.kuvat.fi/kuvat/ACS+2018/

6. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    A little help for the heat, opening side windows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the track day next saturday, I replaced one tire that i had flat spotted all the way through the plies.

[​IMG]

But it is past its prime:

[​IMG]

That crack goes almost all around the tire.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Are you thinking about putting Stud girdles to your engine might help.?

8. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Not at this point. I don't have that big of a cam and I'm not revving it past 6000rpm. Of course the girdles would be a good idea, but not totally necessary right now.

Next thing that I should buy is a new limited slip differential. I just need to save some money for it first.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I run an Moroso "Brute strength" Posi in my original 8.5 10 bolt with no issues. And It also took awhile to save up my money to get the most expensive parts as well. Good luck to you .

10. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I have the 3rd gen Dana 44 rear end and the original Trac-lok has given up a couple of times already. I'm not going to get anything special just a new Eaton Posi styled carrier from USA Standard Gear. I believe it is enough for my power levels.

[​IMG]