Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I ordered a new waterpump from USA, because the same pump that costs 25$ in USA costs 139$ in Finland (same Gates 44030). Even after shipping, taxes and customs, it is still half the price. I ordered it from Rockauto on Friday and the expected delivery is tomorrow! (tuesday) Thats fast.

In the meantime, I took out the old pump and disassembled it in order to see if it could be rebuilt, but 30years has taken its toll...

[​IMG]

Atleast I don´t have to worry about rebuilding it! ;D

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Good thing you caught it now. Looks like it was a failure waiting to happen.

3. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Well, actually it had failed already. The bearing made a loud noise and it leaked a puddle when I warmed up the engine so it was hard not to notice it. I accidentally cracked it while removing the impeller. I should have heated the case before pressing it out. It doesn´t matter though since I already ordered the new pump last week and should get it today. :)

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Engine sounds good

5. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Got the new waterpump in and got to run it. The wailing from the waterpump was gone, but there is still a tap from the right side of the motor. I have to take the valve covers off and check it, but didn´t have the time. After I get that sorted, I have to fill the gearbox, connect a few wires and bolt on the fenders and the front end and I believe it´s good to go again :) Too bad it´s winter here already :(

[​IMG]

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Just do what you can.

7. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Took 1,25 turns of preload to quiet down. Maybe I should get better quality lifters or start saving money for a solid cam + lifters.

8. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
  9. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Back on all four: :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Week ago I went to the dyno to get it tuned. I was happy with the torque curve, but it still dives rapidly at 5700rpm. I´m guessing its the lifters. I wasn´t quite happy with ComCams tech support as I wanted to know more about their lifters:

Me:
    Tech support replies:
    Me:
    Tech support:
    Me:
    And then nothing. He just told what he runs and nothing about the lifters and their differences.

Does anyone here have experience with those lifters? I´m mainly asking about Comps because they are readily available here in Finland. Crane cams Hi intensity lifters seems to be also in stock.