Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    On wednesday I got the parts back from balancing.

[​IMG]

I aligned the valve seat that was replaced and put together the last piston

Then I welded two little plates to the pan to prevent oil getting out of the sump in hard braking.

[​IMG]

Then I lapped the valves

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I shortened half of the studs, because they were protruding to the intake runner.
    [​IMG]

I gave my parts to I friend who has a parts washer at work. He´ll wash them and then I think it´s time to start putting it back together.

2. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Got the parts from the washer

[​IMG]

As I installed new springs, I noticed that the tip of one valve was hurt.

[​IMG]

I took it off and had it grinded. I shimmed the spring heights while I was at it.

[​IMG]

I honed the cylinders.

[​IMG]

Put together the rotating assembly and installed the heads.

[​IMG]

I have to adjust a couple of the guide plates to get the tip of the rocker centered to the valve.

[​IMG]

Baby steps... :)

3. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Yesterday I aligned the guideplates and got the roller tips centered.

[​IMG]

I added a locking plate under the camgear bolts just to be safe

[​IMG]

I put on the intake manifold, oil pump, timing chain cover, oil pan and the valve covers. Now it´s just short of oil and accessories from being able to start it :)

[​IMG]

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Rebuild looks good so far. Nice attention to the details.

pecu_83 likes this.
  5. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks! I hope it pays up in the end.

6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Will you be ready by next spring? I know you want to put that power to the streets.

7. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I wanted to get it ready before the winter, but first snow fell yesterday (5 inches, but it will propably melt away at some point, permanent snow typically comes around December).

I don´t think I will be doing much more than rebuilding the engine and installing an oil cooler, so I really don´t have much left to do before it´s driveable again. Changing the rear differential will be down the road somewhere, but I don´t have the money right now for anything else. This engine failure wasn´t in the budget :(

I will take it to the dyno to get it tuned and if the weather is good maybe drive it a bit before putting it away for the winter. I wasn´t going to take it to the ice race track this winter, but since I missed all the late summer drives, maybe I will.

8. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I changed the idler arm while it was accessible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I installed the damper, accessories, flywheel, clutch and gearbox.

[​IMG]

And lifted it in

[​IMG]

Next time when I get the chance to go work on the car I think I´ll be able to try and start it :)

9. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Last Friday I managed to get to the garage to plug the motor in.

I added a spacer under the carb to get a little more out of the motor.

[​IMG]

I had to grind it a little bit to get it aligned too.

Later that night I got to fire it up for the first time, but it was so late that my wife called me and told me to keep it quiet :D. The belt was a bit loose and squealed loudly too, but I heard a more metallic sound too.

The next day I tightened the belt and run the motor to operating temp. The metallic sound appears to be the waterpump bearing and it leaked a small puddle from the pump too. The valvetrain was loud too. I put only 1/4 turns of preload, since I read that less preload is recommended for high RPMs and I am planning of keeping it close to the rev limiter :D

A couple of videos from the startup

I think the waterpump was shot allready last summer and was part of why the temps got so high so fast.

[​IMG]

After warming it up, I changed the oil and filter and re-adjusted the lifters to 1/2 turn of preload, but I haven´t run it after that since I don´t have a waterpump. I guess I could run it for just a moment, but I don´t have a battery for the Camaro since it cracked also the last time on the track and I allready put the battery I started it with back to my daily driver.