Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I´ve been gathering new and used parts from Finland and USA also. I have almost all the parts now. Gaskets and bearings are still on the way from Summit.

Now that the motor is in pieces, I have ported the heads and the intake a little bit. Next step is to change the pistons to a set of used but ok connecting rods. I´m going to balance the pistons and the rods first. Then I´ll take all the internals to have them balanced and maybe change one intake valve seat that has a few small chips come of the side of the seat.

Pretty sharp and tall ridges were in the combustion chambers:
    [​IMG]

I made a set of "seat savers" to be able to grind the chambers without worrying of hitting the seats:
    [​IMG]

In this picture you can see the dark area between the seat and the light that was extruding from the wall and the bulky intake valve guide:
    [​IMG]

The other side was concaved as you can see from the shadow:
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up:
    [​IMG]

2. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Beverwijk, Netherlands
    really a badass project ! i'm gonna follow it !

3. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    That much had to be aligned on the intake:
    [​IMG]

Aligned and cleaned:
    [​IMG]

First attempt to remove pistons from the rods failed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So did the second one:
    [​IMG]

Third attempt started by building a press:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The jack cost 13,90€ and the rest was from trash metal.

After that I had to make a tool to use with the press:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that it was a success:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    You Sir, are a talented individual.

5. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks guys.

Tonight i´ve been cleaning the gasket surfaces. I hate it o_O But it´s actually not that bad since I have a few beers, a dram of Jack Daniels` and the live stream from Drag Week on the side :) Now it´s 1:40am here in Finland so I think I`m calling it a night...

6. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I love following your thread. I really like how you come up with creative solutions to any issues or challenges you run in to. Nice job!

pecu_83 likes this.
  7. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I couldn´t use the special tool with my pistons, because the gap between the piston and the connecting rod was so small. I had to press them out against the piston.

[​IMG]

I replaced the rod hardware with ARP stuff. After that I weighed the rods and their top ends separately.

[​IMG]

6 of the rods were very much identical, but one was over 10 grams lighter on the top and one was lighter on the bottom, so I had to grind all of them pretty much. Now they are within 1g. The pistons and wrist pins were within 1g from the shelf.

The new crank had a bit of rust on the surface, but it came out alright after some scrubbing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I took the rotating assembly to be balanced, there they will check the journals and polish them if needed.

Last week I assembled the pistons (all except one, they needed it separate from the rod for the balancing).
    At first I tried to press them in, but the piston felt a bit sticky so I took it off again and decided to use heat.
    After that I made a rig to hold the piston and stop the pin at the correct depth.

[​IMG]

I put the pins to the freezer and heat the rod until it just started to turn blue and then pushed the pin in. I had to redo a couple since I didn´t get them all the way in at first, but in the end I got them all and now they move nice and freely.

[​IMG]

8. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    Excellent work you're doing. I'm impressed. I prefer doing everything I can myself also.

pecu_83 likes this.
  9. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I made a short "tutorial" of the piston assembly: