Camaro 1975 454 6-speed from Finland

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by pecu_83, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    The new one seems to be working properly alltough I haven´t had the time for a longer drive yet. I´ve had the same configuration before in my other cars with no problems. I don´t think I´m going to put a fuse there because it would have to be strong enough not to blow when starting (~500A) so it would serve no purpose.

I´m hoping this would also explain why my tachometer started to go crazy. I think the charger made too much current because there was a poor connection (or no connection) to the battery and the tachometer started flipping. Then, as I put more load to the charger (lights, fan, heater etc..) the tacho started working again, but after a while it started the flipping thing again.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Do you have an aftermarket ignition amplifier box like an MSD..

3. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    I have a HEI distributor with an Accell Super Coil and an aftermarket HEI ignition module with a rev limiter.

4. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Didn't fix the tach problem. I'm going to try a resistor on the signal wire.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Does the signal wire go the MSD box or the HEI? If it goes to the box it could of "fried" some thing.

6. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Signal wire went to the distributor where it says TACH on the cover. I have no external ignition box. The module is inside the distributor.

Yesterday I was installing the resistor and started thinking why I had left this one wire unplugged. I googled HEI wiring diagram and found this.
    [​IMG]
    Mine is not MSD but has the same connections. I've had the tach previously connected to the cover where it says TACH. Now I connected it to the green wire as I was installing the resistor. Didn't test it yet because it was so late at night I didn't want to disturb the neighbours.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Changing the signal wire didn`t help, but the resistor helped some. Now it takes more time for it to start flipping and now it stabilises more easily as I put other electric stuff on. Going to try a bigger resistor next.

8. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Using the signal from the cover where it says tach and using a resistor with it is the best combo. The tach works now fine if I have atleast the lights on. :)

9. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Yesterday I fabricated a skid plate for going to the rallycross track someday in the future. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you thought of putting a diffuser in the tail similar to "Rampage" so the car won`t get too much air underneath it. And lift at high speed. I have seen some race cars do that on TV.