Cam suggestions

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 80's AL, Dec 4, 2017.

1. 80's AL

80's AL New Member

Sep 23, 2017
    It is indeed a lock up!!!! was running it in my third gen car....worked great!!

2. snowcone

snowcone Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Colorado
    Correct me if I'm wrong but your 89' Camaro TPI motor should already have an OEM roller cam which will cut the cost of doing a roller cam very low. Worse case is you have to drill out the spider hold down brackets which is pretty economic at a machine shop. The advantage of a roller cam is HUGE. Smoother idle, better performance, freedom to use any oil and no cam lobes going flat and destroying all the bearings. You will not regret the extra $100-150 spent now over a flat tappet! Nonetheless, a cam in the .490 to .520 lift range and a duration of .230 - .250 @.050 would scream. For the loopy sound and low end torque go with a lope separation of 110 or less.

3. 80's AL

80's AL New Member

Sep 23, 2017

It's not the original engine.
    It's a 72' 4 bolt main with a 400 crank.
    Performer RPM heads

The cams I have been looking at have a 108 LSA...so sounds like i am looking in the right direction.

I have another engine in my garage that is a 74' 350 4 bolt main that used to have a Crane Fireball in it , and i LOVED the mid range of that thing!! Had it in an 81' Buick Regal....fun car!! Next build.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    "Lumpy" cams in a street driven automatic car are a PITA to run! Most of the time, a "lumpy" cam won't idle low enough that the engine will stay running when stopped.

IMHO, a mild flat tappet hydraulic cam is a good choice. My youngest son has a 83 S10 with a 350 SBC, Wieand Action P+ intake, Edelbrock Performer flat tappet hydraulic cam & lifers (adjusted to 1/2 turn preload), 2800 stall Jegs street converter, Headman shoty headers through a 2 1/4" dual exhaust, TH350 that I built into a "street/strip trans", 3.73 rear gears. It's a pleasure to drive on the street and a BLAST to drag race as it shifts (in drive) at 5600 rpms which is the peak RPM of the cam all day long!

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    I've used Isky springs with great results compared to the other big cam companies, but never their cams, so no comments. Like said, lots of information and specs are required to spec the right, or best cam for your combo and set up.

I have had good luck/results with Brodix, E/Super Vic 2925 (corner cleanup), Pro. Products Hurricane (watch core shift), and the old Holley Strip Dominator is still a killer intake after all these years!!! JMO

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017