cam question

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by szaun b, Jun 11, 2017.

1. szaun b

szaun b New Member

Jun 11, 2017
    I am building a 350. i have it bored 30 over and had the crank balanced and have vortex heads. I am wondering what cam to run. I want a somewhat aggressive idle.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

All that depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are doing by yourself Check the local Speed Shops. Competent friends,and the Camshaft companies.Get the components that work together .

Attached Files:

3. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    The Competition Cams Thumper series cams are known for that lopey idle so many desire. You haven't really said enough about the setup to offer any more than that. Comp Cams, Camquest application is pretty good for recommendations, providing you can input the required data. http://www.camquest.com/ If nothing else, the app will help you to understand just how much information is needed in order to make an informed camshaft purchase. One thing to remember and I've heard this my whole life. The biggest mistake people make when building an engine is TOO MUCH CAM!

Good Luck!

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have seen cars that are over camed and they are just "dogs" .All bark and no bite .

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    THEE most common mistake is TOO much cam!

What carb is on your engine? If a Q-jet or Carter/Edelbrock or stock (non-racing) Holley, those carbs do not work well with "lumpy" cams because they are dependent of good vacuum at idle.

Car has which transmission: automatic or manual? You might get away with a larger cam with a manual (inertia of the flywheel helps it run). Conversely, an automatic trans HATES a lumpy cam and you'll HATE how it runs.

IMHO, get cam & lifters that works from idle to 5500 (maybe 6500) rpms. DEGREE THE CAM IN or you're wasting the power you should be gaining as you will NOT know where the cam is in relation to the rest of the engine.