Calling All Junk Builders

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Rustbucket350, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    Post your junk builds! Ones that worked and mistakes you ran into when you tried to avoid machine work. Motors that shouldn't have ran but did, things that shouldn't have been bolted together, but worked, everything of that nature. I'm in the process of throwing together a rusty old 350 2 bolt main and need some inspiration. Been down the money road many times but unfortunately this block is only a temporary engine so it's not seeing any high end anything or a machine shop.

I'll start... I once bought a truck 350 off Craigslist covered in mud. Had to scoop the oil out of the pan by hand due to how much sludge was built up. Stuck some 305 heads on, an edelbrock dual plane, stock dished pistons with a speed pro cam and it ran forever. Burnout machine. Not too great on the top end though. Hell, my roll cage cost as much as that motor.

Guy I know has an early Vega that runs mid 12s. I asked him to open the hood so I could see what he was running. Ugly as all sin inside there. He said he had vortec heads and "a 327 or maybe a 350 with a .500 something" cam. I swear he must have had an industrial sized tube of rtv to seal that thing. These are the combos I want to see in this thread.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    1970 350 L48 bottom end with 173,612 miles on it. We disassembled it cleaned everything with CASTROL superclean and lacquer thinner. Had crank turned .010/.010. The block was honed only and the stock cast pistons and rods reinstalled with new bearings. New replacement oil pump and new stock repl oil pan (old pan was rusted badly and developed leaks while scrubbing it clean) were added. Bought a used hyd. cam and lifters that were all mixed up in a coffee can from a friend for $50. Put a 462 casting head on one side and a 041 on the other along with a used Edelbrock performer #2101 with a holley 650 carb. Put it into my 77 Camaro (drag car w/ 4.56 gears and a 3500 converter) and ran 11.93 in the 1/4 mile. I called this my $1000 econo 350 that proved to my Dad I could run 12.00 flat for a grand ! DSC06141.JPG

Zstar and Blown Camaro like this.
  3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    Where do I start, Here is one, late model Vortec 350 out of a 98 truck, tossed on a 600 holley cheapo 1 5/8" headers nothing else inc. the very tiny truck cam in it, ran 13.07@101mph shifting it at 4500rpm.

Zstar likes this.
  4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Bought a Cutlass parts car for restoration parts for my 442. Sat outside with no hood or air cleaner for years. Drained the oil/water out of it, pulled the rusted heads off and power washed the head's with a really strong power washer. New head gaskets, reassembled the the head's to the block, poured new oil in and bolted a used quadrajet on. Been driving it without issues for half dozen year's. Great oil pressure, runs flawlessly! Really a testament to how well engineered and built GM engines were made. They had their craft down.

Zstar likes this.
  5. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    That is impressive... and here I thought I was good at building junk lol. If this runs I'll cheat with a healthy dab of the ol nitrous plate.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    You guys need to go on Facebook and join the Sloppy Mechanics page. Those guys can make some junk fly. A lot of turbos on junkyard engines type stuff but a lot of snot welded stuff and weird swaps. Even some overseas guys building low buck Volvos and one of them is another guy named Richie Schmidt!