Buying a car without a title

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Strange81Z, Jan 24, 2017.

  1. badazz81z28

    badazz81z28 Veteran Member

    May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Check with the local DMV first. I personally bought a car from GA with no title and only a bill of sale. Since the car was registered and GA doesn't give titles for old cars, I had no problem registering it and getting a title from my DMV
  2. Andyp

    Andyp Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Apr 3, 2012
    Northern Ca.
    Another no vote
  3. Coadster32

    Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Oct 2, 2013
    I have no title for my Camaro in Connecticut, (anything over 25years old). DMV won't even give me one with my name on it. I had the PO registration with me, and got my plates.
  4. badazz81z28

    badazz81z28 Veteran Member

    May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    California is worst state when It comes to anything, it's pretty common in states on the east cost to transfer tags on old cars rather then titles. Rather then throwing an arbitrary answer out there, check your state laws.
  5. perkalator

    perkalator Veteran Member

    Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Here is how WA state works for example. If there is no title the dmv wont touch it. You must set up a inspection eith the state police. If the car comes back clean on VIN and does not have a lean or money owed they issue a certificate of ownership. You can then register snd drive the car. You must then wait two years for a title to be issued. Went through this on a trailer. Now if its a atv all you need is a bill of sale.
  6. ssupercoolss

    ssupercoolss Veteran Member

    Nov 3, 2015
    Best advice. Your DMV will be able to give you the best answer. Is the reason for no title due to the persons sloppy book keeping skills, or the fact that it is a no title state? There are still a few no title states for cars of a certain age. Vermont is one, i think New Hampshire is another. You should by all rights be able to title a vehicle from a no title state into any state. This will work alot better if you have a bill of sale, and a registration from the PO. My Camaro came from Vermont (no title state) and is now registered and titled in PA. The only extra thing i had to do is have a form filled out with a state inspection mechanics signature verifying the VIN.

    I would only entertain a car with no title, if it was from a no title state, and at that, i would still go to your local DMV before making any kind of transaction.
  7. 71flh

    71flh Veteran Member

    Jun 1, 2010
    Titles are a state thing.
    Ask MN what their policy is for titling an out of state vehicle w/o a title is. No other answer is valid. You can google this by searching mn vehicle title for example.

    All you get by asking here is 100 nonsense posts about how it works where the poster lives, none of which matter unless they're in MN and moving an untitled out of state vehicle.

    BTW, having done a bonded title in TX for a TX car, the paperwork and BS can be a bit daunting. I searched the internet, read, and eventually spent a few hours running around getting the paperwork (title search, bond, estimates, title application) done. TX car to MN is more complex, but your state is the source of info. If TX databases talk to MN databases its no problem as long as the VIN comes back clean, and MN law allows.

    It was more mechanical and dealing w/ government mentality than mental work. My experience w/ government people is talk to 3 and pick the answer you like--none have the same answer.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. bigdav160

    bigdav160 Veteran Member

    Jan 11, 2006
    Klein Texas
    It's right on the Texas DMV webpage. As mentioned before, you'll need to purchase an insurance policy (surety bond) in case anyone else claims the car. The bond is suppose to make the title holder whole without taking the car from you.
  9. Strange81Z

    Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    Yea, I've decided to not buy a title less car. Too much risk.
  10. Andyp

    Andyp Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Apr 3, 2012
    Northern Ca.
    Yup California is a pain no doubt.

Share This Page