Buying a car without a title

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Strange81Z, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    Hey guys! It's been awhile. I hope everyone is doing well.

My son is getting is DL this summer so I'm looking for a 79-81 Z28. I've found some but they don't have titles. They are in Texas. Can't you just get a bill of sale and go to the DMV and get a new title?

Shawn

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Don't do it. Not worth the hassle and risk.

3. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    I figured. What's why they are so cheap. Haha

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    ask a local notary

many states don't issue titles if cars are over a certain number of years old - you might be OK

5. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    Not sure about your state but here in Texas when I bought my car I had to apply for a bonded title. If the car was last registered in Texas I would have to wait one year for the bond to lift and I would get a clear title for the car. My car was last registered in California. It takes 3 years for out of state cars to clear. I still have 2 months left then I'm done. The only hard part here in Texas was finding the right official that would come to my house and verify the vin number.

Just saw the post where you say you moved back to Texas. Welcome back.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Well you can dump money into it and get a title , but if someone shows up with an original title , you got problems..

7. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    That's why I didn't bolt anything to the shell of the car for the past 3 years. I did do body work to it just to keep the rust from getting to it but no final installs are being done until the time is up.

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

If you want it for parts, fine. Otherwise, there's a reason it doesn't have a title. If you want to drive it on the road you have to have title. I know Indiana is tough on titles. Maybe there's a lien against it that was never satisfied. The state may have attached it for child support. It's stolen. Any number of reasons. I won't buy one as it's so easy to get a replacement title that it's not worth the bother.

9. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    My son in law several years back lost the title on his vehicle and there are certain designated DMV offices that the owner of the vehicle car go there and pay a few bucks and on the spot get a reissued replacement title. If you don't know the previous owners info that DMV office with the VIN information may be able to tell you the status of that vehicles current owner.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Not in Ohio you can't. I think it varies a great deal state-to-state. Like others have said, have the VIN searched at the DMV. Be aware, if you "own" the vehicle and it comes back as stolen, it may be seized and you COULD face charges (receiving stolen property?). Unlikely, but you never know.